kmealy

4 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Amazing any furniture pieces made by the Shakers and other 18th century craftsman even survived w/o use of these tools or electricity...just sayin

It was achieved Dave, but in today's world, if you want to make a living at it, accurate tools and power tools are needed to keep you competative. Speed is definitely a factor today.

You're right Dave. That degree of accuracy is a bit of overkill. I definitely wouldn't try to compare my woodworking skills to that of some of the folks here. My problem with the cheaper combination squares is that  they are usually made of materials that don't hold the accuracy over time, either because of over tightening , or dropping, or bending etc. I've dropped my Starett several times over the years. What happens is the tightening pin usually breaks, but they are  easily replaceable. I usually keep at least one pin on hand. I 've never bent a rule or even  broken the level on the Starett. With confidence, it has always been my "go to" tool to check the accuracy of the 90's and 45's that are cut on TS, SCMS, and BS.