Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! February 5th, 2018

John Morris

Good Monday Morning!

Good Monday morning Patriot Woodworkers! What did you get done over the weekend, and what have you planned for the week ahead! Inquiring minds want to know. Please tell us what's happening in your shops, your life, and any events going on with you. Thank you for being here folks!

New members

Please welcome the following members to our community.

@Tom Hawks, @Gary Guilliams, @Terri Littlefield Miller, @PaulDozier, @Obed medina, @Sarah Williams, @Thomas, and @PanamaLergro.

To our new members, thank you for joining us! To our existing members, please click on their names above and shoot them a welcome message.

What's It

Our January "What's It" winner was @schnewj in the random drawing! Congrats Bill.

We are working on getting our February What's It live and rolling. Thank you for your patience!

Featured image of the week

Granada Relocation Center, Amache, Colorado. Leo W. Kraus and his high school woodworking shop. - NARA

Attribution: Department of the Interior. War Relocation Authority. (02/16/1944 - 06/30/1946)

23 January 1945

Granada_Relocation_Center,_Amache,_Colorado._Leo_W._Kraus_and_his_high_school_woodworking_shop._-_NARA.jpg

paying bills today.

okay, no real wood involved in that, but i have to do that first before i wander down to the shop later.  nothing planned, need to stare at things for a bit and get inspired.  or just clean up a bit.  maybe wash the truck if it gets warm enough.

still thinking about desk design.....

Monday + Hibernation Day?

Got a cupboard moved into it's new "home".....already have been told my Daughter wants one....She took her State Board Exam Friday....as of today, she can now work as a LPN, as she passed the exam to get the "L" part.    She wants either a Cupboard....or a Chest of Drawers....Unable to get anymore Ash for a couple months...might just use Pine.  

All the schools in the area are closed, today.....might be that layer of Glare Ice, under the 1-2"  of snow?   Too cold here, for any salt to work

we retired and moved several years ago.  when we sat down to narrow the list of places/regions, one thing stood out:  if everyone else wants to go there, you will pay top dollar.

i.e. - if everyone is looking for a view of the water/golf course/large city, then places with a view of the water/golf course/large city will cost more than places that are not on the top of everyone's list.

and at the end of the day, after 6 months, how often do you stare at that view you paid top dollar for?  it becomes background.

As promised, a recon report on the place found last Saturday. 

AMAZING!! Pictures below are only about a 10th of their stock. I'll not label all of them as you can find it all on their website.

This is aluminum or gold foil in resin About 1 1/4"X2+"

DSC05687.jpg.8b192e4fe18dd68022c1fcd47f1329c4.jpg

Stabilized wood of differing kinds. cut and reassembled. Owner said it can be ordered in 2'X4' sheeis of any thickness I'd need fro 5/4 to 1/4"

5a78b7b455412_KG1.jpg.e3d270c477ebcd08fb6dc3ec830ab8b7.jpg 5a78b74f8e5f3_GG3.jpg.386be5f643b7197f5ee8ab3e21738631.jpg

Just plain purdy.

5a78b9d6dde3d_KG6.jpg.5c3540bfe61145fc68af31d136825c2c.jpg

Pens the owner makes.

5a78ba2f9f9f6_KG2.jpg.0a70261273eb054485346b185bb6f144.jpg

Finally, a Buckeye burl. NOT FOR SALE. I asked. It's for the owner to have fun with.

5a78bac0abf11_KGBuckeye.jpg.37508dc73f4137110d004876224a3a40.jpg

PLUS...THEY SELL EPOXY!!!!!!

That's exactly right Dab. We retired and moved to a lake. Then after building a dock 240 miles from the lake plus a lift for the boat, I started fishing, almost every day. After a few months I quit going in the boat. Next year almost everyday I fished from the dock. Caught just as many fish from the dock and didn't have to use any gas... Then after a couple years which has been almost 18 years ago I quit fishing completely , on the dock or out on the lake...My shop time is all the time now.. By the way, I had a house mover tote the dock down here for a few bucks

Thinking back, I could have built a shop larger than this 1 1/2 acre waterfront property I thought I would die for if I didn't buy this property...and probably saved a few bucks for more wood or something...

I even invited any and all the firefighter I knew who fished a lot here to leave their boats home and use mine. Only two takers in all these years. Now I don't even know anyone on the fire dept. anymore since I retired from that in 1980.

So really if your dreams don't get turned into something you have wanted all your life, chances are you can still have a happy life. Thats is if you will stop bitching about it.....and do something else............................... And no I,m not talking about any one person here or there... There are always lots of other things to get involved with...

Gene it looks like you have a gold mine of sorts... But for me, this is what I want to do in my shop. I want to do all that someone else has done for you...As for buying already done made stuff, no, even if I screw up, I still am getting to do something instead of buying... My build probably won't equal the good stuff but the important thing is me doing it..

15 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

Gene it looks like you have a gold mine of sorts... But for me, this is what I want to do in my shop. I want to do all that someone else has done for you...As for buying already done made stuff, no, even if I screw up, I still am getting to do something instead of buying... My build probably won't equal the good stuff but the important thing is me doing it..

Jesse, I don't have the equipment for dying and stabilizing wood. Waaay outta my price range.