Unique Scrolled Clock Plans

Fred Wilson

Fred I just ordered this one about two weeks ago and I would like to make a suggestion .....For anyone using plans don't ever use the original set of plans... If a person does not have a printer at home then take the plans to a office supply and get a few sets made. I like to have 3 or 4 sets extra.... And especially this type of plans one can make a mistake with the scroll saw and ruin the only plan of the wheel or sprocket or what ever and then he is screwed..

I have found over the years stay with one printing machine for a whole set of plans.. Don't ever use two different printers on the same set of plans.....

These types of clocks have to have precision cutting so it is important to get more printed copies of the important sections that will takes lots of nerve racking patience.

And before any sprockets or wheels are cut out, a good going over of the saw and get it into good blade alignment before starting.

With the extra sets of plans for later down the line someone will want a clock made like that so there is no reason to have to order another set or two of the same plans... 

Also if a person has only used spiral blades then don't waste your money on this type of clock plans unless you only want a clock hanging on the wall that don't work...IMG_9876.JPG.bf97c778c6276193b8882a1589a7faa0.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I have a marble clock. I didn't make it . It was a gift... Its plastic.. It makes all kinds of racket and the loudest when all the balls roll back to the starting point at 12, am or pm...Ever since I got this thing I been gonna make the same thing out of wood and transfer the motor and steel balls over so I can call it home made by me . I got this thing around 1970 when the tornado struck Lubbock and crushed the fire station around us 15 firefighters...

So I'm still planning on  building a housing out of wood and changing everything over any minute now then I can show it off. Until then it didn't happen unless there are pictures to prove it....  

No one likes the sound after a few days. Take this darn thing and get it out of here. Or somebody will end up tearing it to pieces...

I read an article not long ago where the original maker started making them out of wood. And before that no body made any wood or plastic.

If I ever get it built if your still interested I could send you the plastic part for the balls and motor can be got from a few places..

16 hours ago, Fred Wilson said:

I'm really looking hard at one of the marble clocks, jt.  Think they would be a blast at art shows.

There are a few versions out there and are a great conversation piece. I like the ones that transform into all kinds of different shapes. They are not clocks but mechanical art. They get my attention. So many projects and ideas. Not sure I have enough years left. 

Patch - seems to me that a wooden one would not make as much noise.  Whatcha think?

JT - like your idea - maybe I should make one for the kids to play with at the craft shows.

"Not sure I have enough years left. " ! ! ! !  Ah, JT, ur just a youngun - just stay away from real heavy sparks.

Edited by Fred Wilson

Fred, I believe the noise the clock makes is the fascination.. I have thought about the wood being quieter but when you make strips of say  1/8 to 1/4" maple which is maybe twice as thick as the plastic in this clock then attach small ribs along the sides to complete the trough there should still be some echos.

I hope we are talking about the same design??? I'll get mine down and take a picture later today. 

We might be in the same boat for what you said yesterday for the doctor told me yesterday he set me up for another operation in two weeks.  He has had  the cancer in my bladder under control since 2010  but the tube going from the kidney to the bladder has some problems.... And at 82, makes me wonder what other little pieces of meat in there might be absorbing the bad stuff????

6 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

We might be in the same boat for what you said yesterday for the doctor told me yesterday he set me up for another operation in two weeks.  He has had  the cancer in my bladder under control since 2010  but the tube going from the kidney to the bladder has some problems

Prayers already in the works Patch...wishing you the very best.

Hey, that was sposed to be a private message also..

No big deal, doc just needs a few bucks for a vacation. I guess I raised my hand at the wrong time..

I don't think I have ever been told what all the things are that can go wrong on the operating table.They use to just hand you some papers. Evidently they realized no one ever read those horrible things and they only pertained to the person laying on that operating table out colder than a deep freeze..

So the doc himself started on the first page of about a books worth of paper and he talked directly to me so wife went and got a hamburger and when she got through eating and come back he was still naming things that will probably  happen. He did say he has been lucky for only a few of his patients have actually died but he said and was smiling when he said a few got out lucky and are only paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of their lives.. and shrugged his shoulders..

16 hours ago, Fred Wilson said:

Patch - seems to me that a wooden one would not make as much noise.  Whatcha think?

JT - like your idea - maybe I should make one for the kids to play with at the craft shows.

"Not sure I have enough years left. " ! ! ! !  Ah, JT, ur just a youngun - just stay away from real heavy sparks.

Gave that all up 4 years ago. Now it is just shop time whenever i feel like it. Everyday is Sunday. Love it.

I wish you the best of luck on the operation, Patch,I always ask the Doc if he has ever did this operation before,or if it is his first time. If it is his first time ,I ask to be awake so I can give him some tips as he performs it. Usually the sturgeon is from a pool of doctors that draw straws for who gets to do the operation.

Seriously tho, I hope it all goes well.

Herb