Had to get up during the night

Smallpatch

These last two nights were for a different reason. Australian Open tennis womens final 2 nights ago #2 Wozniaski beat  #1 Halep  for the womens championship and last night Federer beat Celic for the men's title...This was Federer's 20th grand slam and for the old man of 36 he looked awfully good.

Don't know if anyone knows but the coaches can not give any advise to their players from up in the stands. Good rule I guess or else there might be all kinds of words passed back and forth and some might come down to feisty cuffs between coaches and fans...Sounds like that rule was put in after things got out of hand from the past.

Winner got 4,000,000 and the losers got 2,000,000 and on down from there. I do believe that would make a person want to say a few things during the match...

Control, control is when some of the mens games can go past 5 hours and some people including women never say a word while on the court during their match...Maybe a few lips might move and for sure a few rackets gets slammed down and turned into a pile of trash. Exceptions, yes but most of the players stay reasonably quite....Amazing...   

I bet if you put as much effort into chopping wood with an ax as those folks do in to each swing of the racket, you might be letting out a groan or two also. It is kinda annoying but I keep my tv on mute most all the time...Not a lip reader but I,ve been doing this for years laying in bed watching something after wife has gone to sleep. Yes I do have a set of ears I could put on but been doing this long before the ears were invented. Don't remember who bought them for me but have a set for both tv's cause in the day time I use to have the tv up way too high before the VA fixed me up with some hearing aids. Lew, sometimes life is a bitch.............Maybe I should refaze that line to , Lew, I make life a bitch more than I need to..  

3 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

These last two nights were for a different reason.

I was up a few times both nights too Patch and also for a different reason...didn't watch any tennis, but did manage to find the bathroom in the dark.:P

3 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Don't know if anyone knows but the coaches can not give any advise to their players from up in the stands.

Learned that the hard way many years ago when my daughter was playing High School tennis...between sets at an away meet I went to the fence (had a sun screen shade on it) just to let her know I was at the meet...When the opposing players began chanting "cheater, cheater" I returned to my seat...My daughter played 4 yrs of HS tennis and could have played during college, but chose not to. Her senior year, she played #1 doubles...they were undefeated until the final rounds of the Regional state Tourney...seldom lost a game...majority of their wins were straight sets...their team won the first Girls Sectional title ever for their high school...first for the coach too...he's since had many more.

Oldest grand-daughter will start her 3rd year of HS tennis this year...she's pretty good, but a long ways to go before she matches her mom...she has the same coach her mom did...I think he'll be 82 this year...very tough coach...I've always liked him...you play tennis one way with him...HIS way or the highway...he still talks about that first Sectional win though where "we" beat the reigning 10 consecutive year champs, 5-0...daughter's match lasted 42 minutes for 6-0, 6-0 win.

Prior to her playing, I knew nothing about tennis...I know now when a ball comes at you in excess of 100 mph to get the h3!! out of the way.:o

5 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

I use to have the tv up way too high before the VA fixed me up with some hearing aids

Me, too! The latest pair is equipped with BlueTooth. I can pair them with the TV sound system and turn off the TV sound and listen to the programs.

I loved playing tennis back when I was in Jr. and Senior High School. I could hang with the JV guys but not the Varsity guys as they were way to good and fast for me . I had a lot of fun doing it. I was a big fan of Bjorn Borg  and loved watching him. I really loved watching Roger Federer play these past 2 weeks. A real class act. It made me miss playing tennis, but all those pesky back-shoulder-knee surgeries and being 55 years old keep me watching and not playing.

Guess I was born in the dark ages. Never saw much tennis when I was growing up. The town playground had 2 tennis courts in the playground,, but they were eventually removed because of lack of use. The area was used to expand the baseball field.

3 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I find myself doing that more and more when I lift something too and when I get out of a chair, climb in/out of my truck try to get back up after being on my knees and....:P

Doesn't really seem to help much.:lol:

Try doing these things without the grunts. See if you notice any difference

Archived