Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Oh John, to answer your question, yes, having the air cleaner would indeed get me back to turning like I used to. Especially if it is a quiet one. :)

21 minutes ago, Charles Nicholls said:

2ft deep 6'6" high and has approximately 14" clearance from top of closet to the ceiling.

That should be adequate then Charles...the Grizzly states their model footprint at 20"x17" so it would sit flat. A couple strips of wood or 1/4" x 1/4" aluminum angle placed in front/behind the feet should provide prevent movement.

On the other hand, Shadow may find the location placement an intrusion of his personal space.:lol:

Do the filtration systems have to have circulation around them?  Would sitting it above the closet defeat the purpose?

Charles: I hope you are feeling better, I have some problems with COPD, asthma, etc. When I started to do something about the dust it was to late, I had already done the damage. I have a hanging unit with  remote and I use several box floor fans and attach a 20 X 20 furnace filter to the fan and run on slow and that picks up a lot of dust and with the overhead unit I still don't feel secure. I have been looking at the Trend Pro Shield face masks with a built in fan and I know of people that are in worst shape than I'm in and they are going strong with their turning. The only problem is they are expensive. I don't know if I can drop a name where you can buy. If there is no Problem I will? 

I wish you luck .

Preston

3 minutes ago, steamshovel said:

I don't know if I can drop a name where you can buy. If there is no Problem I will? 

Please do!

It is with Craft supply in Provo Utah. It is a face shield and I know several people that use them and are very satisfied. It is a  trend Pro Air Shield #100560001. I have no affiliation with Craft Supply other than being a satisfied customer. They are pricy, and my excuse to my wife is I'm worth it.

Preston

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/

20 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

Do the filtration systems have to have circulation around them?  Would sitting it above the closet defeat the purpose?

These that we are talking about Ron, have a "screened in" opening in the front to bring the dust in, and I assume the air is then filtered and pushed out the back side through an opening there. Lew has a great shot of one in an earlier post.

5 hours ago, steamshovel said:

It is with Craft supply in Provo Utah. It is a face shield and I know several people that use them and are very satisfied. It is a  trend Pro Air Shield #100560001. I have no affiliation with Craft Supply other than being a satisfied customer. They are pricy, and my excuse to my wife is I'm worth it.

Preston

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/

Thank you kindly!

I am assuming that having the unit up high (where the dust is airborne) is what you want, otherwise there would be no need to hang them. I have no way to hang one but it can sit on top of the closet and pull dust from the air there.

The other alternative would be to set it on a table directly behind the lathe if there is enough room, which there would not be unless I did some shuffling around.

22 hours ago, steamshovel said:

They are pricy, and my excuse to my wife is I'm worth it.

I didn't mean for anyone to think that Craft supplies is pricy. Just the Trend Air Shield is a little expensive. I am happy with their pricing.

Preston

@Charles Nicholls Do not want to rain on your fire but this type air filter works best if on the ceiling toward a long wall or on  wall to create a flow of air around the shop. I Have a JDS that has been in my ceiling for 20 years. Just recently added a Jet and it creates a great air flow in the shop. They are ceiling mounted . Joists are not set to match bolt holes so I have a steel rod going thru the unit eye bolts and ceiling eye bolts. Can make a pic if you are interested.

10 hours ago, Gerald said:

They are ceiling mounted . Joists are not set to match bolt holes so I have a steel rod going thru the unit eye bolts and ceiling eye bolts. Can make a pic if you are interested.

The WEN I bought came with hanging chains and hooks. Made positioning quite easy.

I think the respirator is the way to go, there are a lot of them out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qrgYBcXcec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W0wYOuss_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaOP4tqDH_M

Herb

Charles, Your idea of a general air filter is still a good idea too, but it is not going to solve your problem as you will be breathing the air before it gets to the  air filter.

I have a JDS like Gerald has,very similar to the Wen, but that is in addition to my 3hp. Dust Collector that catches most of the large chips plus the sanding dust from the drum sander. the  overhead air filter is for catching  fine particles that are free in the air, even with all of that there is a fine layer of dust on everything. But a forced air mask type will protect you from breathing any of that.

Herb

11 hours ago, lew said:

The WEN I bought came with hanging chains and hooks. Made positioning quite easy.

Lew I had mine on chain till I moved it to location where I would walk under in and my ceiling is 8 foot so the rods will take it to withing 2 inches of the ceiling.