PIP River Table

Gene Howe

No such thing as unusable scrap mesquite....just smaller projects. Seriously, we have enough mesquite pieces saved for the smoker to last us a long time. Ribs, chicken, turkey, short ribs. We use it on the grill for steaks and hamburgers, too. Haven't tried salmon yet. 

@Cal, no pictures, just an update. Both sides planed...whew, that was a work out. Inside edges ground to acceptable proportions. Tomorrow, filling cracks with epoxy and turquoise and, sanding. Might pull and cut some walnut for the legs. Oh yeah, and cut the glass pattern. Things are shaping up. Hope to have it done by Feb. 1. 

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Seriously, we have enough mesquite pieces saved for the smoker to last us a long time. Ribs, chicken, turkey, short ribs. We use it on the grill for steaks and hamburgers, too. Haven't tried salmon yet. 

Sounds like a barbecue is in the works.:P

For salmon on the grill, I've got a bundle of redwood shingles I bought years ago...pull one or two out, hose it off, soak it in water, then cook the salmon directly on it.

The mesquite with salmon would be very good too I suspect.

A restaurant chain in our area, O'Charley's - has a grilled salmon done on a cedar slab.  That is my favorite.  Have not been able to replicate it at home yet, but still trying.

You are making great progress on that table Gene.  Me, I am still in the planning stages for too many projects to get started on the first one!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Very cool...

Can't wait to see your version of this Gene.

It's in the works, Dave. Epoxy just got here. We're getting ready to pour tomorrow.

Edit....It wasn't the epoxy. It was a throw the wife ordered. DARN IT ANYWAY!

Edited by Gene Howe

7 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

It appears UPS is having fits getting that epoxy out of Bakersfield CA. Prop 69 at work again???:(

I get UPS packages coming out of CA and they go past Medford, up to Portland, then turn around and stop in Roseburg, then back to Medford. I know their main sorting hub is in Portland, but STILL...

Got a message from Amazon. They've given up. Had to reorder. This is the our first order, out of hundreds over the years, that have gone astray. I think UPS lost it. 

Supposed to be here Monday. We'll see.

Back to sanding.

Edited by Gene Howe