On 1/18/2018 at 12:11 PM, Stick486 said:

why are you so angry Charlie...

Who said I was angry ? Why do you feel that it is not a reasonable thought from someone when they are in a room full of strangers, and a few of them are directing me towards a retailer to buy a new tool ?  

Edited by CharlieL

On 2/16/2018 at 12:12 PM, CharlieL said:

Who said I was angry ? Why do you feel that it is not a reasonable thought from someone when they are in a room full of strangers, and a few of them are directing me towards a retailer to buy a new tool ?  

I guess that it is a matter of perception...you perceived a friendly "heads-up" of a tool, on sale, that someone might be interested in, as adding up to, a voice in your head telling you what to do. The majority of us (I'll surmise) saw it for what it was, a FRIENDLY "HEADS-UP". There was NO need to attack Jess for posting the information.

I see similar posts by the members in other forums, and on many occasions have been grateful for the information.

If I were that uncomfortable with entering "a room full of strangers" then I just might pass up the doorway...

22 hours ago, CharlieL said:

Disappointed would be a better description.

I have never been disappointed by a tip directing me to a deal on a tool I might need for my woodworking hobby.  Especially when it comes from a friend/hobbyist  AKA everyone on this forum.  You, my friend/hobbyist are the only one who has refused a request for help from someone on this forum.  Disappointed?  Yes I am.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:48 PM, schnewj said:

If I were that uncomfortable with entering "a room full of strangers" then I just might pass up the doorway...

Yep, that is where I'm headed.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:33 PM, HandyDan said:

You are the only one who has refused a request for help from someone on this forum.  

Please explain your blanket accusation towards me.

Edited by CharlieL

17 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

On 8/7/2017 at 10:52 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

Hey Charlie would you might sharing more detail on this ? 

I'm busy with other projects..

Edited August 8, 2017 by CharlieL

Refresh my memory, what thread was that in ? You do realize that people have a right to decide what they want to share ( intellectual property ) without being bullied into it, as you are trying to do with me. Perhaps I was busy. I'm not retired, and I don't have the extra time to compose long articles. 

Edited by CharlieL

I remember that also, and I thought at the time that if a person is willing to participate in this forum and present his ideas and projects that he should be willing to share his methods with the members. Otherwise just be a member and not show your work. If I made something that I planned on selling or producing for sale, I would surely not show it in detail before it was protected by patent or copyright.

Just saying,

Herb

On 1/13/2018 at 6:10 AM, Smallpatch said:

ent brands for all sizes nails and brads.

I see the only one they have listed now is the combo nailer+hose+compressor set up.

I too have the HF one and it does a good job, also the HF that shootesstaples or nails.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

3 hours ago, Dadio said:

I remember that also, and I thought at the time that if a person is willing to participate in this forum and present his ideas and projects that he should be willing to share his methods with the members. Otherwise just be a member and not show your work. If I made something that I planned on selling or producing for sale, I would surely not show it in detail before it was protected by patent or copyright.

Just saying,

Herb

I don't know what planet that some of you folks are from, but your enough to drive anyone nuts. I'm done explaining what should be common sense to anyone.

Edited by CharlieL

I am really sorry if I bullied you Charlie, Sometimes the things I write don't come off the way I meant them to sound. I guess I have the wrong idea of what forums are all about, I thought they were for sharing information with others and helping them to be better wood workers. If at any one time there are hundreds of people reading the forums even though they aren't participating in the discussions and are gathering information in their own minds on how to do things not trying to "Steal" ideas.  I have to admit that I use other peoples ideas, even though I was in the business for 45+ years before I retired I learned new things every day, and I still do off the forums, and use them in my shop.

I will try to do better, Happy Woodworking.

Herb

Herb, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not retired, and don't know if I ever will be able too. The last couple of years have been tough on me, this country has not been very kind to the blue collar workers for quite some time. I've been a hobbyist woodworker / handyman for about 30 years. I use to enjoy it a lot, and I was proud of what I did. But the general public just beat the sap out of me by assuming that If I was a woodworker I must be retired and have nothing better to do, so they could take advantage of me. They liked the work I did, but when it came to paying up I was often belittled. Well those days are over, and for me to get any bit of self esteem back I'm starting to stay away from people that want to take advantage of me and beat me down. I've lost so much motivation that if I didn't have projects that needed to be done in our home, I'd sell most if not all my woodworking equipment. I don't think that I'm alone in this experience, woodworking in this country has been declining for a few years already, the compensation has been getting to be even less every year. Plus there are probably less people that are able to retire. Understandably it's a dieing art. I guess that I can't say that I gave it a good shot. The bottom line is that perhaps I don't belong in a group of people where most are retired and have a totally different outlook on things then myself. You may be enjoying what you do, and I use to also, but now all it does is frustrates me everyday. Call me stupid. 

9 hours ago, Cal said:

Charlie - join the ranks of woodworkers who thought that having a side business doing what we enjoyed would be fun and easy.  Only to get disappointed by the reality that the money wasn't there, and the other side of the coin that when it became "a job" that most all of the fun went away also.  I am in that category.  I know there are several more of the regular posters on here that had similar experiences.  And most of us went through a burnt-out period where some of our tools got sorta rusty.  

And after you accept the fact that you are not alone in that experience, come back and join us and be happy with the new found freedom that we are doing it again for the joy of it and that we can easily say "no" whenever we want.  No, I am not in the business any longer; or yes, sure I can do it.  Read some of @DAB's posts if you need some guidance here.  Being retired has nothing to do with it.  Loosing half of your retirement savings has nothing to do with it.  I do not know where you live or much about you Charlie, but if it is a sideline income you are looking for - in this area you could make more money with a lawn mower and pickup truck.

So the enjoyment of it brings us back to TPW.  We are not here to sell our ideas and projects.  We are here to socialize and visit with our woodworking neighbors and friends.  Again, retirement has nothing to do with it.  Let go of the resentment and bitterness - it will put you in an early grave.  Embrace the joy and happiness that you can obtain by opening up and sharing.  Good things and bad things, the burden is a lot lighter when it is shared.

You know, Cal..... I think I'm going to print that out, frame it, and hang it on my wall! A man after my own heart. Thanks!

John