A wonderful WW experience

Gene Howe

1 hour ago, DAB said:

sadly, if you can't push a button and make something happen, people are not interested.

make something, with my hands?  in a messy shop?

make dinner, from scratch, out of a cookbook?

gaahhh....

You can bash the general public all  you want about their interest in woodworking, but if the compensation is very little to nothing people are not going to be interested, plain and simple. Do I need to remind you of a post that you started not all too long ago ? http://thepatriotwoodworker.com/topic/20041-no-profit-margin/  I've been at it for about 30 years, and much like a lot of other folks, I've become very disappointed with everything that involves woodworking so much that I've lost a lot of interest in it in the last couple of years. I'm sick and tired of being takin advantage of. Until things change, the industry will continue to decline.

Edited by CharlieL

bash?

people and society change with time, not always for the best.

those with no money have very little influence in the market.  but those with money can support whatever tickles their fancy.  Maloof had enough rich clients to make a go of things.  but he is one of a very few to do that.

imagine if all those who gave money to support some political candidate instead took 1/2 that money and employed a craftsman?  how many could you support for the $100,000,000 that was spent on Jeb Bush's failed campaign?

creative craftsmen, such as woodworkers, take time to dream up new ideas and to create them.  more than once i've been asked "how long did that take?"  "i don't know, i don't have a time clock in my shop, but if you'd like one like it, i'll make you one.  it'll cost you $xxxx."  "oh, well, nice to meet you".

one day, there will be no more woodworkers creating things, and that will be a loss to society, but i'll be dead by then.

i don't know anyone who is rich enough to sponsor me or anyone else.  maybe one will read this?

1 hour ago, DAB said:

Creative craftsmen, such as woodworkers, take time to dream up new ideas and to create them.  more than once i've been asked "how long did that take?"  "i don't know, i don't have a time clock in my shop, but if you'd like one like it, i'll make you one.  it'll cost you $xxxx."  "oh, well, nice to meet you".

one day, there will be no more woodworkers creating things, and that will be a loss to society, but i'll be dead by then.

i don't know anyone who is rich enough to sponsor me or anyone else.  maybe one will read this?

Ok, I'll throw this example at you. In this post http://thepatriotwoodworker.com/topic/21528-i-want-to-build-a-thien-baffle-but/  it seems as though the American craftsmen here would rather take a chance on a cheep imported knockoff, rather then support a American worker. I feel no different, I support this woodworking hype site by contributing some of my time in sharing my 30 years of experience as mostly a hobbyist woodworker. Yet most here would never support me, they would rather, or in some cases insist that I show everybody dimensions of one of my products and how to make one. Thanks, I'm motivated now ! Not ! And ya, I did it to myself apparently by expecting better from people in todays society, I'm a fool. 

Edited by CharlieL

3 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

The video quality is not the best but, the concept presented sure is.

Thanks Gene for the reminder we have "skin in this game" also to share our knowledge and passion to current generations. If we don't who will, right?

Unfortunately Lowe's ended their free Build & Grow program they had for kids. Too bad; it was a great program and something our grand-daughter's got to experience several times. It made the very proud to come home with things they had made themselves.

Home Depot still sponsors a similar program the first Saturday of the month. It's free also; all you need to do is register and that can be done on-line. We've taken our oldest grandson a few times. He loves it and is so proud of what he's made.

Challenge for us all: take your kid or grandkid or someone else's kid (probably should ask first unless you want your picture on an Amber Alert:rolleyes:; shoot even take their parent--again seek permission otherwise it's kidnapping;)). Check with your local Youth Service Bureau...dozens of kids looking for positive role model mentors and someone to just show they care.

Who knows the impact you may have made down the road...Current episodes of "This Old House" include their trades apprentices. I think that is awesome.

Valentine Bean Bag Toss

image.png.ed5670b3e4c927fdc7f250bee13b6d13.png

Kids

Score points with your loved ones and build a Valentine bean bag toss in this hands-on workshop. You and your child can construct a fun bean bag toss game for the whole family to love. Following the bean bag toss game board construction, your child can decorate it with paint and stickers. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Children must be present at the store to participate in the workshop and receive the kit, apron, and pin.

9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Saturday, Feb 3, 2018

i've shown plenty of my work here and elsewhere, with general dimensions and descriptions.  a few times i've been asked if i have "plans" for what i built. yes, some scribbles on my legal pad i keep in my shop.  but nothing that anyone else could use to make it.  you have to know something about dimensioning, joinery to make anything.  when i took shop class, i'd look thru the old Sears catalog for ideas of things to make.  get an idea on projects and proportions, but then i'd have to work out all the details.  same still applies.  i made an 8 foot sideboard.  but you could also make a 5 foot sideboard, you'd just need to adjust dimensions to make it look right.

plans?  here's a pic.  figure it out, that's half the fun.

Both of my kids showed an interest when they were younger, but life tends to get in the way. :( Son is now building his own (log) home, but tended more toward metal working. The two older grandkids tried the lathe, scrollsaw, and woodburning, and a number of their friends (and our neighbours' kids) have been in the shop making gifts for their parents. Hopefully some of them will continue with woodworking.

John

2 hours ago, John Moody said:

Well I enjoy my shop and I make what I want to make. I work in it more sometimes that I planned but, hey I'm retired and can do what I want to. If you don't want to share its your business and if you don't want to build something for someone then don't, but don't whine about it.

I'm guessing that the above statement from Mr Moody was directed towards me. First of all don't assume that everyone here is retired. It's not whining, it's the facts weather you like it or not, and choose to ignore them.

Edited by CharlieL