Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! January 8th, 2018

John Morris

29 minutes ago, Cal said:

Well, humble pie was on my menu today...:(

Amazing how this game played out pretty close to a mirror of the GA-OU game the week before.

Yep me too Cal...that's why they play them I guess and all 60 minutes plus...at that level one little lapse and it's over.

Two very closely matched teams...probably one of the best college games in a long list of good college games.

It's why I enjoy NCAA football so much even when I don't have a direct connection to either team.

On 1/8/2018 at 8:18 AM, Grandpadave52 said:

Rest of the week TBD depending on what new catastrophes evolve...stay tuned.

Well, the next one reared it's ugly head a few hours ago. Headed to Lafayette about 10:15 to get my hair cut. This was a reschedule from last week due to the extreme cold and other conflicts which had arose. As it turned out last Wednesday I spent most of it shuttling people and trying to locate a battery for my wife's Jeep that left her stranded the evening before.

Got my haircut, headed out to my truck to drive to Westside to meet my brother for lunch...hopped in the truck, fired 'her up, shifted to reverse, attempted to back out...didn't want to move much...one of the voices in my head said" you're parked on melting snow and ice...pull up and try it again" another voice said "Okee dokee"...pulled up, back to reverse...a really nasty growling, grinding sound like something slipping...Warning message came on the screen "Transmission Failure; OD Disengaged"

I limped it back to our county seat to local transmission shop...once it shifted out of low, to second then to 3rd it seemed to operate OK. Sounds equally ugly in low as reverse...must share a common planetary or something??? Fluid level was OK BTW...the sound it makes is kinda' like $$$$$$$$$. I'll let you know...Local (only) Rental Car place out of vehicles until tomorrow.  68d 21h 20m 1.33333s to spring...ahem...

Edit update: that sound = ~$3k; Reman transmission 3yr/36k warranty...main planetary disintegrated.:o One of the best independent transmission shops around...been in business since 1968 same family. Happy New Year to me...:wacko:

Edited by Grandpadave52

55 minutes ago, p_toad said:

Did you find the battery for your wife? (erm, wife's car?) 

Yes...local NAPA di dnot have one in stock...something about all the below zero days:rolleyes:. They were able to transfer one from another store. AutoZone had one for $202 (old one was an AutoZone); equivalent NAPA battery had more CCA & Reserve Amps plus weighed 8  lbs more (almost 50 pounds). It was $171 my cost. Guess I'll go back to using NAPA batteries.

Crazy thing is it started though all the -20 weather and all day that day and evening until she stopped for gas. I was able to put jumpers on it for about 5 minutes and got it home. Shouldn't complain though...old battery was 6-1/2+ y/o. I thought it was an 84 month battery...I thought wrong...60 months. They never fail when it's 75 out.

5 minutes ago, DAB said:

i tell you, these weeks full of mondays are tough on you and your wallet.  who can we blame for this? 

Yeah this is really starting to cut into my fun fund...This all started when I watched that Russian video:ph34r: on how to replace the ignition switch in wife's Jeep

33 minutes ago, Cal said:

How many miles are on that transmission?

138500 +/-; I bought it used about 5-1/2 years ago with 74k+..."04 F150 4x4.

I've never pulled anything heavy with it...just my 6x12 rated at 3500 GVW.

Apparently these trucks do fail the planetary cluster but more typically around ~200k.

He said he's seen some go over 260k w/o failing.

Sorry about your son's truck...

Edited by Grandpadave52

Just now, Gerald said:

too bad you could not find a used one.

He located a couple...one only had 96k on it, but with shipping etc. and labor it was going to be ~$2700 and only 1 year warranty P&L.

I'll just have to drive it another couple years or so instead of trading like I had considered at end of this year...

Rough estimate ~20k put on it driving back and forth to the school(s) over the past 4-1/2 years...that's roughly 1,111 round trips at ~18 mile ea. :blink: Scary when you drill it down.:o