Just so everyone knows

Fred W. Hargis Jr

By they way guys, your odds of winning one of our raffles is pretty danged high, and it's always for a great cause! You can't always say that with our state lotteries, where does that money go? They say to the schools, but really? At least here you know where your money goes, straight to the project the raffle represents, just sayin. I do hope you consider our raffles in the future, you're not lining our pockets with your contributions, you are helping a worthy cause.

But, raffles are a game of chance, I completely respect the morality conflicts folks may have as well, thank you guys for being here, by the way, if I ever win mega millions, I'll share!:)

@Fred W. Hargis Jr...if it makes you feel any better, I also didn't win either one.:P Seems I also came up short not obtaining a ticket. State & Federal lotteries to me are just self-administered taxes. I'll take my chances for being hit by lightning.:D

8 hours ago, John Morris said:

By they way guys, your odds of winning one of our raffles is pretty danged high, and it's always for a great cause!

Yes to both counts...

8 hours ago, John Morris said:

But, raffles are a game of chance, I completely respect the morality conflicts folks may have as well, thank you guys for being here, by the way,

By definition, yes they are. I consider my contributions to the cause...if I'm lucky enough (and I have been) to win one of the prizes then that's icing on a cake, but I enter to support the stated purpose with no expectations to receive anything in return. I personally believe everyone else on this site does also. It's just the DNA of our membership...I couldn't be more proud to be part of this group.:)

22 hours ago, John Morris said:

Hmm, @Fred W. Hargis Jr, your post count indicates you are a Journeyman! Something in the system has glitched, thanks for pointing that out! We'll get ya fixed up asap.

Well, thanks (I guess) but I wasn't worried about the title....I wasn't too worried about winning the lottery either.

22 hours ago, John Morris said:

But, raffles are a game of chance, I completely respect the morality conflicts folks may have as well, thank you guys for being here, by the way, if I ever win mega millions, I'll share!:)

For me it's not a moral issue, it's more or less what Dave said about self-administered taxes..after all the only consistent winner here is the government (enough said). I'll enter lotteries that are for prizes and are privately sponsored. But your statement did remind me of my late M-I-L, who was an self described anti-gambler (among other things).  But when the Ohio Lottery was introduced, she bought tickets every week and would run to the TV to check her numbers against the winners.

Archived