Bandsaw

RustyFN

Ok I have been looking at bandsaws for a while. I was looking at a 10 inch but want more resaw capacity. I am also looking to not break the bank. I am looking at a Rikon 10-324. It has a 13 and 5/8 throat and 13 inch resaw. All bearing construction and blade guids. A standard blade at 111 inches. I can get it shipped for $760. Does anybody have experience with this saw?

Though I don't have this saw, Rikon makes quality tools.  The price you quote is $39.00 less than Amazon pricing. I'm sure others will be commenting here. I doubt you'll find a better bandsaw at this price or for even $100 more.

Edited by It Was Al B

My current BS is also the Craftsman version of the Rikon 10-321 .It's a decent BS for the price. The Rikon 10-324 is  an upgrade in power . The fence may or may not be included with your saw. It can be purchased separately for about $20.00.  You should invest in a couple of zero clearance inserts. The insert that comes with the saw doesn't do the saw justice.

@RustyFN...check out Woodcraft, Rockler, Peachtree, Highland Woodworker online sites Rusty. One of them just had the 10" bench-top model on sale...maybe still does. Also there were some special codes for shipping.

Unfortunately none of them from those locations included the miter gauge for the 10" bench-top.

I realize that you did not ask for this, but I have an old Rockwell Delta 14" and have used it for more than 20 years. Also have a 20" Delta that is about the same age. Bought them used and at a really good price at school auctions. Never had a problem with either one. I just never have wanted new machines, especially if it has to come from a communist country!

I have the 10-325 Rikon, same specs, and it is a pleasure to use.  I aligned it using Alex Snodgrass video on Youtube and It's right where it belongs every time I turn it on.  With the right tension and blade resawing is excellent...

Customer service and technical support is also very good...

Heavy sucker...you will not be disappointed...

9 minutes ago, Nickp said:

I aligned it using Alex Snodgrass video on Youtube

I've sat through three of his sessions at the Woodworking Show in Indy...he makes it look so easy...thank goodness for the video. Even my old 12" Craftsman performs well when adjusted the Alex way. I still haven't been able to make those deer he does in about a minute.

11 hours ago, oldwoodie said:

I realize that you did not ask for this, but I have an old Rockwell Delta 14" and have used it for more than 20 years. Also have a 20" Delta that is about the same age. Bought them used and at a really good price at school auctions. Never had a problem with either one. I just never have wanted new machines, especially if it has to come from a communist country!

I appreciate any advice given. I have checked Craigslist and everything else near me for used. I live in a small town and there is nothing close. I am 3 hours from a big city. I would love to find a good used saw cheap but very hard to do here.

Using my craftsman version of the Rikon 10-321, I  have been able to routinely cut hardwoods 6" thick when making bandsaw boxes. Haven't tried thicker materials only because I haven't had the need to.

Definitely get all the saw you need, but,  since budget has to be a consideration, why buy more than you need, unless you can find  a great deal somewhere.  I'd have an 18" with all the bells and whistles if it was within my budget. Just Saying:)

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Rusty, what type of projects and resaw capacity do you plan to do/need?  And how soon do you plan to pull the trigger on this purchase?

Cai I was thinking I would like to get it in the next 4 to 6 weeks. My lathe will turn 12.5 inches. I watch a lot of youtube videos. Carl Jacobson showed how he cuts the heart out of a log to keep it from cracking with his band saw. The biggest log I do will be around 12 inches. I will make some bandsaw boxes and anything else I can find or think of. I will also be using it to cut a bowl blank round before I put it on the lathe.

24 minutes ago, RustyFN said:

Cai I was thinking I would like to get it in the next 4 to 6 weeks. My lathe will turn 12.5 inches. I watch a lot of youtube videos. Carl Jacobson showed how he cuts the heart out of a log to keep it from cracking with his band saw. The biggest log I do will be around 12 inches. I will make some bandsaw boxes and anything else I can find or think of. I will also be using it to cut a bowl blank round before I put it on the lathe.

Rusty, just throwing an idea out there for you.

You have been watching Craig's list and such without any success.  How about putting your own "wanted" ad on CL?  I have posted wanted ads with pretty good success, although never on CL.  A bonus if you get some response is that you might stumble upon a bunch of other "nice to have" tools.  My neighbor just lucked up on a nearly complete woodshop for $450.  I haven't seen it yet but from what he told me he got one heck of a deal...