Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Tags are now required for all content items in our community. We appreciate your participation and patience as we work through this new requirement for topics, gallery images, blogs, and more. This is an exciting resource for all our members to use, with one click on a tag, you can see articles, topics and all our content that is similarly tagged the same. Please read Tagging Your Content for instructions on how to use our tagging system.

Rate this topic

I had a friend drop off a Carvewright CNC router today.  He bought it a few years ago and he's about as non techie as they come.  In fact, he's content with his flip phone because he doesn't text and he refuses to get on the internet.  Anyway, he bought it and found out quickly that he was in over his head.  I downloaded the new Windows 10 version of the software and haven't really had the time to play with it.  Anyone have any experience with one?  If so, enlighten me.

Thanks Kelly.  Right now I don't understand all I know.

Our mailman has one and he's shown me a few things he's done on it.  Not a robust machine but capable of doing some decent smaller jobs.  Now I've told you all I know... ;)

David

I watched a 30 minute video on YouTube and it doesn't look like rocket science.  The patterns in the stock software are a bit sparse but I think you can import pictures as well as draw your own.  I'm building a pair of cherry bookcases right now and the customer wants an electrical outlet installed in the kick of each one.  I think my first project will be a couple of cherry receptacle covers.

You've got some awesome friends Ron.

Can't wait to see some pictures in action.

8 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

I watched a 30 minute video on YouTube and it doesn't look like rocket science.  The patterns in the stock software are a bit sparse but I think you can import pictures as well as draw your own.  I'm building a pair of cherry bookcases right now and the customer wants an electrical outlet installed in the kick of each one.  I think my first project will be a couple of cherry receptacle covers.

Was it this one? He makes it look easy. The important part is designing the file. I would make one or two test cuts first.

Different type of machine but same premise.  The switch plate is cery doable once I draw it out.

I almost always do test cuts of an unproven file before committing to the good stock. If the test cut works out, it goes on the wall above the machine. 

I have a question regarding new files.  Can you draw the file out prior to cutting or must you practice on scrap wood?

I have a vinyl cutter that I play around with.  When I have a new file I can resize to smaller or larger and substitute the knife for a pen tool and have the machine draw the design out.  Of course I am only plotting in 2-D.

I don't have a Carvewright but on our CNC I just raise the bit about an inch above the surface, set that as zero for Z, and run the pattern through the air to make certain everything looks good, that no clamps are going to be hit, that the target piece is big enough for the pattern to be cut, etc.  Usually I just do this one or two passes for the outer profile of the piece so it only takes a minute to test out.

David

On 1/23/2018 at 8:06 AM, Cal said:

I have a question regarding new files.  Can you draw the file out prior to cutting or must you practice on scrap wood?

I have a vinyl cutter that I play around with.  When I have a new file I can resize to smaller or larger and substitute the knife for a pen tool and have the machine draw the design out.  Of course I am only plotting in 2-D.

It is software based but from what I've seem, the best way to view the final result is with a piece of scrap.