wood sources

Wichman3

Sigh, so I was looking for more lumber for my baskets. My only real sources locally are HD and Lowes, the choices there are oak, poplar, and pine. The selection there, well, sucks. What are your go to suppliers of thin (1/4 to 3/8) wood?

Do you resaw and plane?

Edge glue and plane/sand?

These are reasons I haven't gotten more into doing this for a living, being able to resaw, then thickness plane, then thickness sand; apart from the added time the expense of the added machinery is cost prohibitive.

5 hours ago, lew said:

You might check to see if you can get what you need from Snake River Case and Mill LLC- 1850 N Main St, Pocatello, ID 83204. Or, Sunroc building materials- 255 S 2nd Ave, Pocatello, ID 83201

I'll be going by both of these businesses tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful. Sunroc does noit have the Pocatello store listed on it's website and they are a building supply store (no hardwood listed on their website)  Snake River is a small custom cabinet shop, again no hardwood listed on the website.

But, I will try both places.

Additionally Sunrock is only open durning the times I am working, 30 miles away. I'll see what snake rivers hours are.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:28 PM, Wichman3 said:

I'll be going by both of these businesses tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful. Sunroc does noit have the Pocatello store listed on it's website and they are a building supply store (no hardwood listed on their website)  Snake River is a small custom cabinet shop, again no hardwood listed on the website.

But, I will try both places.

Additionally Sunrock is only open durning the times I am working, 30 miles away. I'll see what snake rivers hours are.

So I checked both businesses plus some others; Sunrock's phone is disconnected, I think they are done (and they only had building materials in the open yard). Snake River doesn't have any thin hardwood, nor did they seem ready to resaw or plane. Unique wood products, the same. Webco has 1/4 x 4 maple fairly inexpensive but would have to be edge glued to get anything wide enough (it was also rough on one side with tearout from planing, so I don't know how much would be usable).

I've ordered and payed for a box of shorts(1 ft length) thins (5/16) hardwood (var species) 30 square ft for $80 (price for random lengths to 4 ft reg $240) They'll call when their delivery truck brings it up from Utah. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by Wichman3

4 minutes ago, Wichman3 said:

So I checked both businesses plus some others; Sunrock's phone is disconnected, I think they are done (and they only had building materials in the open yard). Snake River doesn't have any thin hardwood, nor did they seem ready to resaw or plane. Unique wood products, the same. Webco has 1/4 x 4 maple fa

Your post was cut off. Was 1/4 X4 what you needed?

Have you tried using Baltic Birch plywood. I use 1/8" for the clock dials I cut with the scroll saw instead of the store bought buggers.. Its nothing like local plywood. 1/4" has 5 plys. www.woodworkerssource.com out of Arizona. It comes in 5x5' sheets but if you can't pick it up there they will cut it into 20x30" sizes for shipping... If interested keep an eye on the sales they have. I like it for lots of scroll saw projects. Keith the owner use to be on Wood on Line as a host or something??

If you don't have all the equipment to resaw  and edge glue thin wood then the planning and drum sand smooth and flat, this BB works for me.

I have used BB plywood in the past, I'm not a big fan, just a personal choice.

The price for shipping is outrageous, and I know it's not the fault of www.woodworkerssource.com. But 200% of the cost of the wood for a single sheet to 50% of the cost for 5 sheets (min quantity for discount) makes it a deal breaker. (the cost works out to just over $3.00/sq ft for 5 sheets and $6.00/sq ft for a single sheet.) The cost of the wood I've ordered is just north of $2.5/sq ft.

On 1/6/2018 at 4:23 PM, lew said:

Here's an idea- If you have a vocational technical school in your area, contact the carpentry department. They probably can do it for a small donation to the program.

No "VoTech" here anymore, now it's "the College of Technology" They always did look down on anyone who gets their hands dirty. (I'm a graduate of this school; at graduation the school only allowed one of us on stage to accept our diplomas) Anywhoo there are  private individuals who can do this, but very very few will allow someone else to use their equipment. Can't say that I blame them either.

9 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

@Wichman3...take a look here. They're about 1-1/2 hr south of me...never been there or dealt with them, so not speaking from experience. They do post on local CL from time-to-time. Might be an option for you??

http://www.gvwp.net/

I'm going to try this one, free shipping :)

The cost for cherry is under $2.00 sq ft (1/4 by 6 by 24)

I just got a Wooden Teddy Bear catalog and they have started carrying 1/4" solid wood, oak, cherry, maple, and walnut. 12x12" and 12x24" in 5 packs. cheaper than your price but you have to include the shipping also. But they are in Spirit Lake , Id. 83869 so this might get the price on down there.

I remember going through the thin wood searching thing when I bought my scroll saw in 99. I would not use plywood back then and had never even heard of Baltic Birch  so I bit the bullet and wife and I hooked on a trailer and went to Springfield ,MO and bought a band saw, planner and a drum sander just so I could resaw wood for the scroll saw.  Now I include those three pieces of equipment  in to every thing I do in the shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/8/2018 at 6:47 AM, Grandpadave52 said:

@Wichman3...take a look here. They're about 1-1/2 hr south of me...never been there or dealt with them, so not speaking from experience. They do post on local CL from time-to-time. Might be an option for you??

http://www.gvwp.net/

Just ordered the cherry, I'll update you as the order progresses. :)

So, here are some picts of the wood I got from Treslewood.

The good news; all the pieces are 5 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. This size is will work for the small open basket.IMG_20180226_123719.jpg.cd8bc7c33e19e93ae2cddcb7110d282b.jpgIMG_20180226_123734.jpg.2e862a975b2fdb766b5015fcdf8c93e7.jpg

There is some fantastic grain in the mix.

The bad news; surfaced one side, the opposite side will have to be sanded and if I want to edge join any of it I'll have to fix the edges.