DANGEROUS PAINT~On Harbor Freight Tools

Whatever poisonous garbage the Chinese are putting on Harbor frieght chisels is dangerous stuff.

I smoked just a little of it off welding the bases of  their 4" brick chisels.  The stuff made my shop all smoky    and like when one burns rubber there were weird floaties of black goo floating in the air.

Then the sickness set in.  My throat became terribly raw and I have sinus issues.

I've never had a paint do this. I can't even guess what  they used.

lead is cheaper than zinc...

the chinese are notorious for their use of lead paint and will use it on your children's toys w/o ever giving it a thought...... 

and this is is HF we're talking about...

side effects/affects from lead are way worse than from zinc ya know...

one of these days I'm going to show up at HF w/ my lead test kit and Geiger counter....

EPA-Recognized Lead Test Kits

EPA has recognized three lead test kits for use in complying with the RRP rule. They are the 3M™ LeadCheck™, D-Lead®, and the State of Massachusetts lead test kits.

3M™ LeadCheck™. EPA recognizes that when used by a Certified Renovator, the 3M™ LeadCheck™ lead test kit can reliably determine that regulated lead-based paint is not present on wood, ferrous metal (alloys that contain iron), or drywall and plaster surfaces. Obtain the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) lead test kit laboratory evaluation report. Also obtain the 3M™ LeadCheck™ laboratory evaluation report (PDF) . Certified renovators seeking to use the 3M™ LeadCheck™ test kit for purposes of meeting requirements in the RRP rule can purchase the 3M™ LeadCheck™ test kits from either 3M™ LeadCheck™ directly or from certain retail outlets. To order a 3M™ LeadCheck™ test kit call 800-494-3552 or contact 3M™ at leadcheck.com.

D-Lead®. Based on the results of the Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) report of vendor-submitted lead test kits, EPA recognizes that when used by a Certified Renovator, the D-Lead® paint test kit manufactured by ESCA Tech, Inc., can reliably determine that regulated lead-based paint is not present on wood, ferrous metal (alloys that contain iron), or drywall and plaster surfaces. Obtain the EPA environmental technology verification report on the D-Lead® test kit (PDF) . Certified renovators seeking to use the D-Lead® paint test kit for purposes of meeting requirements in the RRP rule can purchase it from certain distributors and retail outlets. Locate a distributor or retailer at www.esca-tech.com/Distributors.php, or call 414-962-3006.

State of Massachusetts. EPA recognizes that when used by trained professionals, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts lead test kit can reliably determine that regulated lead-based paint is not present on drywall and plaster; it is not recognized for use on wood and ferrous metal (alloys that contain iron) surfaces. Obtain the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) lead test kit laboratory evaluation report.

Read a fact sheet on the EPA-recognized lead test kits (PDF) .

For any questions pertaining to the recognition of these kits, contact the National Lead Information Center.

Lead Test Kit Environmental Technology Verification

EPA's Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) Program has completed its verification of the performance of four vendor-submitted lead test kits developed to meet the negative response and positive response performance criteria for improved lead test kits set forth under the 2008 RRP Rule.

Based on the ETV results, there are no kits that have met both the negative response and positive response criteria requirements; however, there is one kit that met only the negative response criterion (D-Lead®), and it was recognized for use as a negative response-only kit on August 31, 2010.

Get the individual lead test kit verification reports and a description of the ETV lead test kit verification program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...