Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Fred Wilson

Scrolling Straight Lines ?

Rate this topic

WOW - 18 views and nobody has had a comment?  And I thought we ALL had different ideas and how to keep those lines straight.  Even an "I agree" would help.

Oops, noticed that we DID have a couple of replies but for some reason they are not showing up.  John Morris, what happened?

Edited by Fred Wilson

Fred, I am not sure what is happening! It appears there is one comment now. Did you accidentally hit the delete post button?:D

Nope - was notified on my browser that Lew and another guy had left posts and when I went to view them there was nothing there.  Didn't even register on the "Views" counter.  Oh, well, to error is human, to really screw things up it takes a computer !  :wacko:

Thanks, John, for the reply.  And thanks Wichman for your post

4 minutes ago, Fred Wilson said:

Nope - was notified on my browser that Lew and another guy had left posts and when I went to view them there was nothing there.  Didn't even register on the "Views" counter.  Oh, well, to error is human, to really screw things up it takes a computer !  :wacko:

Thanks, John, for the reply.  And thanks Wichman for your post

Perhaps they left comments on another topic you participated in Fred. Hmmm, interesting, hey, you are ok! You are not going crazy! Remember, our online community software that makes up The Patriot Woodworker was created by "HUMANS"! And what do we get with creations that are created by humans, faulty and glitchy! Thanks Fred for your patience, I am so happy to see things perking up in the Scroll Sawing Forums!

Patch, great post - thank you - and yes, we have discussed it before but I still get questions regarding it.

Forgot about trying to cut straight with spiral (don't use them and that's probably why I didn't include them)

You mentioned using a #5 to cut the lines and watch out for wander - My opinion, the smaller the blade the easier to wander (unless there's a really good song coming out of the speakers) :rolleyes:

I can add to your last line, I use TWO lights above my table and slightly forward of the table edge.  This gives me a triangle shadow where the blade meets the wood.  (another humble opinion)

Practice is what is needed. I really do not have any problems with straight lines or circles any more. Years of practice I guess. If the wood you are scrolling has heavy grain in it it could give you problems and fits. Not much can be done because that small thin blade is going to follow the grain. I will say this I find the key is steady and slow. remembering it is a marathon and not a sprint. I just cut some maple today that is 1-3/4" thick and I am cutting both curves and straight lines and I apply the same principles except that it is even slower. Had to bump up to a #9 blade which I hadn't used in quite some time. My go to blade is #5. One thing I always do is stop pushing let the piece relax in case there was any sideward pressure it realigns. Scrolling is still fun after all these years. 

JT - thanks for chiming in - I agree with you completely.  We always have some "newbies" on the forum and I think it's always a good idea to bring up topics like this one from time to time.  Somewhere I have a document where I have collected "tips" over the years.  If I can find it I will publish/upload it here.

grain. The resulting wood displays a cathedral pattern on the face of the board.">ps - welcome back

Edited by Fred Wilson

Thanks Fred. Just poking around a few forums. Pretty cold here so the ambition level is low to go into shop. It is always good to restate some of the tricks we have learned over the years and share with new and oldies. Never know we may pick up a gem or one of those why did I not think of that moments. 

I am new to the forum, and woodworking. I am pretty sure I’m gonna be doing some scrolling in the near future. This post was very educational. THANKS