Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! December 25th, 2017

John Morris

made a back scratcher out of Lacewood scrap i had laying around.  boxed up, shipping tomorrow to a friend.  see separate thread for more.

stocked my wife's newly completed craft center with some basic tools so she doesn't have to keep borrowing mine for simple tasks.

checked the fireplace chimney today for blockage, wasn't getting a good draw.  try again tonight.  slight amount of soot on the mesh over the top of the flue.  cleaned that off.  dirty job.

need to design and make a bowl, includes figuring out what wood to use.

got some nice presents from my wife and others for Christmas.  and now i get to pay quarterly taxes and bills.  it's more fun buying stuff than paying for it.

in the coming weeks i'll start planning my office remodel (converted bedroom).  bookcases, new desk, layout and furniture placement.  sounds like work.

too cold to go shooting.  bullets would freeze and decide they didn't want to hit the target.

most of the gifts I got were for the shop -- new drill/driver+impact kit,  "From Truth to Tools" book, and a nice dust mask.   I got to open the new shop vacuum last week to get ahead of off the dust on the floor.   Only fair, most of the gifts I got my wife were for her sewing room.

Managed to move a bit of snow, not because it was what I really wanted to do. Low temperatures will be keeping me indoors as much as possible for at least the next few days. The prime rib planned for Christmas went bad so we all joined together and ordered Chinese for dinner. The food was delicious. Gifts this year were all about the great grand kids. Planning to get some of the doc's ordered R&R.

11 hours ago, It Was Al B said:

Managed to move a bit of snow, not because it was what I really wanted to do. Low temperatures will be keeping me indoors as much as possible for at least the next few days. The prime rib planned for Christmas went bad so we all joined together and ordered Chinese for dinner. The food was delicious. Gifts this year were all about the great grand kids. Planning to get some of the doc's ordered R&R.

Hey Al, I am just curious, what went bad with the Prime Rib?

58 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Hey Al, I am just curious, what went bad with the Prime Rib?

My grand daughter bought it several days before Christmas and apparently didn't check the recommended expiration date. It was kept in the fridge but apparently developed an odor that said  "do not use".

13 minutes ago, It Was Al B said:

My grand daughter bought it several days before Christmas and apparently didn't check the recommended expiration date. It was kept in the fridge but apparently developed an odor that said  "do not use".

Got it! I was very curious, because even with the relatively high price tag on a rib roast, it's one of the easiest and hardiest cuts to roast successfully, we do a rib roast for Christmas every year too. I am not the best cook and even I can roast it successfully, but the fact that yours was just plain ol smelly before it even went into the oven, well you all struck out before the rub was even applied!:)

A little known secret in our home on dealing with sour meat, my wife came from very meager means as a child and young adult, she was raised in a very small concrete home in Panama, with a brother, and two sisters, dad drove taxi, and mom stayed home as is tradition there, and sometimes things would go bad in the old fridge due to the constant power outages etc, or poorly packed meat from the butcher, their answer was to salt it down then cook it!

My wife still does that to this day, I get on her about it sometimes, but hey, we are all still alive, and healthy, so I don't question her style all that much!:lol: Most the time if it smells a tad sour, it's just the juice on top that went bad, when it's rinsed off it smells fine, of course you can only use the salt method if it's just a tad soured meat, sounds like your rib may have been well on its way and beyond redemption.

Another trick my wife was taught growing up, you see they never threw anything away, if the food was too bad, it went to the chickens or the dogs, but before they sent it to the animals, the family had to try to save it, when it came to milk that turned sour or even into cottage cheese, they would pour the bad milk into a bowl, and mix it with sugar, and then pour the soured milk and sugar mixture into an ice tray, and they made dairy pops! It's hot in Panama, and those dairy pops from sour milk and sugar, were actually pretty danged good.

Just musing here Al, hey, Chinese food is a great holiday meal!

I'm no cook John and  never actually saw the prime rib. I probably wouldn't have known the difference.:unsure:  Was really looking forward to the prime rib, but the chinese food was great. I couldn't believe how many people have chinese food for Christmas. The place was wall  to wall people.

8 minutes ago, It Was Al B said:

I'm no cook John and  never actually saw the prime rib. I probably wouldn't have known the difference.:unsure:  Was really looking forward to the prime rib, but the chinese food was great. I couldn't believe how many people have chinese food for Christmas. The place was wall  to wall people.

It's a phenomena Al, the whole Chinese food thing for Christmas, I was surprised to hear that some of my co-workers go out to eat Chinese as well. I wonder if it has anything to do with the re-emerging popularity of the hit "Christmas Story" movie?

For the last 16 years, ever since our sons had Dan the Lobster Man ship us a lobster for Christmas, we've done the surf and turf thing. A standing rib roast and, depending on the size of the guest list, a couple or three lobsters or a quantity of just tails. 

This year we changed it up. Bought a couple dozen home made tamales, cooked up some rice with lime and cilantro, home made refried beans, tortillas and several different salads. To top it off, Phyl made her, from scratch, lemon and chocolate cream pies. 

It was delicious. I missed the lobster, though.

Tami and I flew into Nashville on December 24th and we have been enjoying our time looking at different communities around the perimeter  of Nashville about 20-40 miles. Today we drove to Memphis and went to Graceland which was a lot of fun but  cold in the 20's. We will be having dinner tonight with an old friend of Tami's in about half an hour at a BBQ place. Tomorrow we will head to Bowling Green Kentucky. Glad I got some thermal undies with this cold weather.

20171227_114559.jpg

20171227_115730.jpg