Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Allen Worsham

Christmas in Nashville, TN

In June my wife Tami and I found out that Tami's Mom had terminal pancreatic cancer. So we brought her to our home in Corona, CA to do hospice care as Tami's brother and his family live a few minutes away. Her Mom passed on July 27th and we finally got the entire estate closed out and all the funds to the family have been delivered. So Tami and I are pooped out so we decided to basically "Cancel Christmas" this year as we have been burning the candle at both ends for the past 6 months non-stop and we are in some desperate need of "R&R".

So tomorrow morning we will be flying out to Nashville TN to spend 2 weeks exploring future retirement locations for us. Tami will most likely take a medical retirement in 2018 as she was born with cerebral palsy and she had her right hip replaced in 2016 and in 2018 will have to have her left knee replaced. So after talking with our money guy and looking at all the options, we are looking to get out of California and move the midwest. We will be bouncing around south of Nashville looking into Smyrna, Murfreesboro and Franklin TN as they have some good school districts in that area. Tami has been a "Special Educator" for over 30 years working primarily with children with autism so she wants to become a part time "Substitute Teacher" for Children with Special Needs". We will also be looking around north west of Nashville in the Clarksville area. We will then head into Kentucky and spend some time in Bowling Green and Elizabethtown. 

So hopefully we will have no issues on our trip. Us "California Kids" will have to get used to some colder weather as we travel. :-) 

After all the caring and responsibilities that go with what you've been through, you guys deserves some down time.

When I was in the Navy, I was stationed right outside of Memphis at NAS Millington. The Navy has their avionics schools there. That place had the coldest winter I ever experienced! 

Best of luck on your trip Allen, I love that part of the country. We spent a week in western Tennessee, and then a week in eastern Tennessee followed by a week in SE Ky. (my dad was from Somerset) right after I retired. I found it all the areas to my liking, my wife not so much...so we are still stuck here in NW Ohio. Wish you the best on your search! You'll find the weather colder, but as a rule the winters are still not all that bad.

I am 86.  Wife is 84.  Blessed with decent health.  We often say, " If you think you have it bad, just look around you."

Eat well; drink some red wine and keep a positive attitude.

Hope the trip and R&R go well Allen. Nashville proper and the communities you list are all beautiful areas. It's been over 45 years since I lived in Nashville and then in the burbs, but I loved it then. While not California mild, the winters there were not brutal like here in Indiana. Occasionally  they did experience some snow or far worse IMO, ice, but overall not bad. If I could have adapted to "big city life", I would have stayed or moved back to Nashville. We use to visit there often.

Another "burb" you might want to explore is Donelson, TN, about 6 +/- miles East of downtown. I lived just outside Donelson before moving back to Indiana and really liked that area. Of course that was 45 years ago too so I'm sure it's changed significantly. I always enjoyed driving past the Hermitage (as well as visiting there). The entire area is rich with history. Donelson is also short drive to Percy Priest Lake/Recreation area. A beautiful man-made reservoir.

Anyways, hope you both get recharged and enjoyed your Christmas. Looking forward to hearing about your travels.

Wishing you and Tami an enjoyable trip with lots of R&R for years to come.

Tami and I have been checking out a number of cities about 20-40 miles outside of the perimeter of Nashville. The 2 places in Tennessee that we both liked were Smyrna which is south-east of Nashville and Clarksville which is north-west of Nashville. We spent some time in Franklin which is south of Nashville but it is a much higher demographic (meaning way too pricey for us) but it is a nice place to hang out for a day. We made an overnight trip to Memphis to kick around and go to Graceland and walk around on Beale Street. We also got to have dinner with my wife's old Youth Pastor when she was in High School. Spent a couple of hours eating BBQ and chatting with him and his wife. Today we left Memphis and got into  Bowling Green KY and hooked up with a Realtor who printed out a number of listing for homes in the areas and some of the areas where there are new construction. So tomorrow we will be driving around in Bowling Green looking at a number of different communities. So we have been having a great time and very much relaxed.

Pics of the Mississippi River from the observation area on tope of the Bass Pro Shop in Memphis. Also a few pics of Beale Street this morning and some from Graceland.

2017-12-28 09.18.15.jpg

2017-12-28 09.12.36.jpg

2017-12-28 08.42.42.jpg

2017-12-28 08.38.49.jpg

2017-12-28 08.36.39.jpg

2017-12-28 08.34.40.jpg

2017-12-27 11.57.30.jpg

2017-12-27 11.45.59.jpg

Edited by Allen Worsham

Looks like you both are enjoying your time in the Mid-south. While you're in Bowling Green hope you have time to visit the Corvette Museum. I believe it's reopened after the giant sink-hole a couple of years back?:o

It has indeed, and they have all the cars (except one) on display that sunk into that sinkhole. Allen, be sure to check out Kentucky's peculiarities. They have ( or had) their gas tax tied to the price of crude. So if crude went up, the price of gas went up even faster (this was 15 years ago, may have changed). They have dry counties (no alcohol sold) wet counties (buy anything you want) and "moist" counties (dry county with a city in it that allows alcohol sales inside city limits). Seems like there was some other unusual things, but they escape my memory at the moment.

Can't recall the county names but, most of the well known distilleries in KY are located in dry counties. 

6 minutes ago, Allen Worsham said:

Tomorrow morning we will be heading north to Elizabethtown, KY

"E'town" as the locals often refer to it is getting closer....I'm about 3:30ish from there. Went to technical college in Nashville and roomed with a few guys from near "E'town" 45+ y/o.  Getting you lots closer to @Jim from Easy Wood Tools and @kmealy too.