Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Smallpatch

Tackling a repair more my size

Rate this topic

The beauty shop owner demanded my wife take these chess set pieces to get someone with a glue bottle and a clamp and maybe they can bring these babies back to new condition...IMG_9634.JPG.86858c1042bacfe6658881e13ac12de8.JPG

Now that I have them in my possession and can show I am working on them, I can take my very valuable time the rest of the way as Paul might say.... I don't know how many times I use to tell people over the phone, They are in the clamps. Like maybe telling the customers its up to the clamps now to do the rest of the repairs.IMG_9671.JPG.f0a26f06e3fe2b5be86e7b86d1a12ddf.JPG

So far I managed to drill 2 1/8" diameter holes in each horses head and the new lower extremities to give their new inlet hay suctions traps better ability with the dowels to stay attached to the rest of the head along with some 2 part epoxy. Just drilling the holes in exactly the correct location was a feat in its self......

It seems like the gent used a form of the cypress family, a red cedar for the constructing the chess set....But this wood had to be awfully brittle . Around these parts red cedar use to be used for fence post....... I'm surmising maybe the one defeated in the game might have gotten mad and his foot might have crushed those pieces. Maybe he broke his foot while 

engaging in that terrible act...Serves him right if he did.... His loss will be my gain!!!!  Too bad I don't own any carving knives for the rest of the process...

It looks like half of the set was made with black mumba wood from over yonder.

Smallpatch

I already gave it some thought Lew with how the red cedar changes shades in the middle of no where that it might give me an escape.....

25 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

I already gave it some thought Lew with how the red cedar changes shades in the middle of no where that it might give me an escape.....

Yeah, that queen tells the story.

From the chip out on the base of that black knight, it looks like walnut. To get that black, you might try India ink. 

Gene I happen to be pulling legs on that post. The black is plain ole black paint. Now if the others were plain ole white there would be no problem...but the red cedar will help.

Dan you are almost exact in your thoughts... I been told from some who happen to have been there my temper tantrums were really severe and would last till dad walked in the door......I bet he had to buy a new belt every week.....

1 hour ago, Smallpatch said:

Gene I happen to be pulling legs on that post. The black is plain ole black paint. Now if the others were plain ole white there would be no problem...but the red cedar will help.

Wasn't sure about Mumba wood. :lol: I have India ink on the brain as I've been up to my elbows in it for 4 days, now. Been ebonizing a bunch of walnut. If I'd known what I now know, I'd have used poplar. India ink takes no prisoners. 

1 hour ago, Smallpatch said:

Wasn't sure about Mumba wood. :lol: I have India ink on the brain as I've been up to my elbows in it for 4 days, now. Been ebonizing a bunch of walnut. If I'd known what I now know, I'd have used poplar. India ink takes no prisoners. 

Gene..  and others.

India Ink is a wonderful stain, especially on Red Oak.  It makes the wood very black, but shows the grain lines very well.  Covers well too with Satin wipe-on poly and rubbed out.

Larry.