Sandpaper

Gerald

9 hours ago, Larry Jenkins said:

Gerald..  Thank yo so much for posting an image of the Chess set you made.  I like the variation.  Did you hand form the pieces on a lathe?  I did mine using hand/eye on my metal lathe.  Made two sets for the Grand kids.

Larry Jenkins

Yes all done on the lathe except the cuts and sanding side if Knight and royals. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cliff said:

I've bought an awful lot of abrasive paper over the years.  One cruel lesson that seems  inescapable is that you really do get what you paid for.

Another truism, Cliff!

"TANSTAAFL" should be prominently displayed in every shop. Not only to remind us of that truth but as a caution to our families and friends, as well. 

For finishing, I like 3M's 216U (aka Sandblaster) in P400 grit.   It's expensive, but goes a long way.   I can sand 4 coats of finish on a dining table and still have life left in 1/4 sheet.

A few years ago, Peachtree had a sale on Norton sandpaper 50 sheets each of about 5 or 6 different grits for one price.   I'm still working on all that.

17 hours ago, kmealy said:

For finishing, I like 3M's 216U (aka Sandblaster) in P400 grit.   It's expensive, but goes a long way.   I can sand 4 coats of finish on a dining table and still have life left in 1/4 sheet.

A few years ago, Peachtree had a sale on Norton sandpaper 50 sheets each of about 5 or 6 different grits for one price.   I'm still working on all that.

Ditto!

I don't use a lot of sandpaper, for prep work I prefer card scrapers if I can. I, also, use non-woven abrasive pads (i.e. 3M Scotchbrite) when I can...they last forever.