Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Wayne Ellington

Intarsia Question

Rate this topic

i have done some Scroll sawing in the past but mostly fret works.  Been interested in trying my hand on Intrasia for years.  Have read up on some but sort of get little confused on the process.  How do you cut out each pieces to fit if the pieces are a different shade or color?  And how do most sand their pieces?  

Wayne

Maybe Smallpatch will stop by and give you some advice, he is an expert on making intarsia clocks. We had a lady in our woodworking club for several years that did spectacular Intarsia.  Not sure about the color question, but she had 3 scroll saws set up and did her sanding on the drill press with the set of Rockler sanding drums.  https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Drum-Sander-Replacement-Sleeves/dp/B001BB4MSI?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001BB4MSI

Herb

I agree with what Herb has said.  Go ahead and search the scrolling forum for posts by @Smallpatch.  Having read a bunch of them I believe that he might advise a better blade in your saw to eliminate or seriously mitigate sanding.  As for different colors, I would (paint, dye, stain) after the parts have been cut out.

Cal

IMG_8170.JPG.631fb0e5bfb473fe36f20b2771bb7fb3.JPG   

If you can get to this stage of the game you got it made...I am lazy and see no need to replace the colored pieces I have stained or dyed with species of different colors of wood.  Besides, that exotic wood is way over my head in cost and if need be I think I can change the color of wood to suit me.  

I started with a pattern of a clown then glued it on some wood then cut it out..  But before I start I attach a piece of Baltic Birch plywood to the back of the wood so I have a place after all the pieces are cut out to rebuild the picture in. Kind of a box to glue all the pieces back together whether they are the original pieces or different woods of different color.. I use the piece of wood as a pattern to trace around of a different species, lighter or darker wood to go with the theme of the picture.. Trace around the piece of wood to be replaced and once you learn where to cut the new pieces whether it be on the line , inside the line  or out from the line the new colored wood will lay right in where the old piece use to fit...eventually you can do away with much sanding to make a good fit...

Since the entire population counting you and me both can not tell the difference between alder,  cypress, old field birch, and certain maples, I can not for the life of me see any need to use different species of woods to obtain a good looking picture. Beside I can't afford those exotic wood prices. I think I can stain or dye or color the wood to suit myself and hey the one who is doing the intarsia so to speak is the person who is trying to please himself..

By the way, intarsia in the dictionary is defined as segmentation.

IMG_8160.JPG.f056e7a4f7422a445378c280fde85eac.JPG

All these pieces were the same height when I cut them out with the scrollsaw. Once all the pieces are sawed out then determine which pieces need to be shorter or cut down , then I use the band saw for that.

Some pictures will be cut down to four or five different thicknesses.

Actually I do this carving on these clocks the same way as I do my form of intasia, which I don't do the same as other folks.IMG_9646.JPG.63bc98398194cc1b28c178c5ff3c7097.JPG 

I cut the carving down into smaller pieces  and use a backer board the total size of the clock so I can glue it all back together as one piece after the carving, the staining and the clear is sprayed on then I can glue it all back together...I find I am more pleased making clocks like this than the so called intarsia pictures?  I was just getting in to carving some of the intarsia pieces when I decided the clocks wold be the way to go...

Smallpatch I can't tell the difference sometimes in what wood is.  Do know the difference from Cherry, Walnut and Red Oak.  Sometimes White Oak get me confuse.  If I understand correctly, you basically use one type of wood and then paint each pieces after sanding them to fit.  Part of my problem would be painting them.  I can just about stain anything and and it would looks good.  But painting, well let just say it looks terrible.  I agree that some exotic woods are expensive but depending on how big that board is, small piecies for intrasia probably would go a long way.  Sanding the pieces would not be a problem for me.  Do have bench mount drill press and sanding drums.   Do you use air brush to paint them or just use plane ordinary paint brush?

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Ellington
left out few words in sentence

Wayne, I never use paint, never. The clown was stained with printers ink, home printers like the one I have sitting beside me... Water soluble and a person can thin it as he wishes.  These colors were fairly strong for I wanted the clown to be seen.... Anyway there for a few years maybe 15 or 20 years ago there appeared on the market a quick and easy refill kits for the home printers. Buying it from the makers of the printers was very high priced and for sure the ink is still way to high but    anyway, about all those cheap kits did was clog up the printers and what was left the people added to garage sales to recoup some of their expenses.. This was about when wife and I would take a list with us and make lots of garage sales on Fri and Sat....Water color sets for kids is another  good garage sale item after the kids leave home and in goes the water color kits. A 4 oz. bottle of printers ink will put a stain on the white house for it last and last...

All the years I had a furniture repair , refinish shop wood color stains is mostly all I ever did for the customers in the 50 and 60's. Now I am retired so I don't use the 100 different shades of browns  for I had enough of that way back when so now I am just playing around for myself... I do use an air brush on lots of things. It will let me do things  a rag full of stain can't do.

One wood, Ash,I use a lot if I am wanting the grain to show up and maple is what I been using for the last 8 or 10 clocks. Maple a closed grain wood, so I don't have to worry about the grain. I stained these three with the same printers ink. A person  needs to experiment  on the same wood scraps that he is going to be building with. All three are ash wood. 
They were cut out  of 3/4" with the pattern glued on and used the scroll saw to cut the pieces out. I dipped  each piece in a bucket of stain.

IMG_6848three of th same pattern just different sizes.JPG

Wow.  That would be a learning curve for this old man.   I'll figure this out from what you said and put it in terms for a simple minded guy that I am.  It what I usually do if I put my mind to it.  It be sometime early next year before I tackle Intrasia.  Got eye surgery in January for Cataract and hoping this let me see little better when using the scroll saw. Thanks Smnallpatch for your help.  

Wayne