Need Help from Probotix Users

As if I wasn't stressed enough today, while I was gone to buy some lumber, we had a power failure that lasted 3-4 minutes. My machine wasn't running, but the computer and the controller were running. I have been keeping them running so I wouldn't have to reset my x & y axis zero each time I change projects.

A few minutes ago, I finally got out in the shop and turned the PC on. It won't boot up. It stops the boot sequence and displays the following:

"Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS probotix-dekstop tty1
probotix-desktop login:"

I have no clue where to go from here. I typed in "admin" and it then prompted me for a password. Now I am stuck again.

I don't know if this is a big secret or what, but I could use some help with this login. Apparently the power failure screwed everything up. My wife said she heard a boom. Later we saw a couple of bucket trucks working down the street about 2 blocks away so I figure a transformer blew in the neighborhood.

EDIT: I called Probotix but they are gone for the day (weekend).

Help please. I am dead in the water until I get this figured out.

Edited by MT Stringer

Sorry to hear that, Mike.

I lost 2 computers to power surges, one the mother board the other the graphic card. I had them on surge protectors too. Sounds like a transformer on the pole blew, both mine were during an electric storm.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

This doesn't help at all. My mom passed on Wednesday. This week has been hectic and stressful. I didn't need this to happen. I just wish I could get a hold of the guys from Probotix. Surely they use the same log in info for all of their machines.

My Christmas gift making may have to be carried over into next year.

45 minutes ago, MT Stringer said:

This doesn't help at all. My mom passed on Wednesday.

Terribly sorry to hear Mike. Prayers of peace & comfort to you and your family. I fully understand what you've been going through the past several weeks.

Don't know if this would be any help or not, but looks like Probotix has a forum...maybe somebody there can help???

http://www.probotix.com/

http://www.probotix.com/forum/

Sorry to hear about all the grief.   I don't have an answer about your unix signon; but the power thing...   I've had an APC UPS unit for years now and i can't tell you how many times it's saved my computer from a simple power blip (or worse).   I would highly recommend checking into that and getting a cable from the unit to your computer so it can try to force an orderly shutdown in the event you are away.

Password are typically probotix as username and probotix as password.

If you can't get back to a working screen then it might be worth doing a reinstall of the OS and LinuxCNC.   The needed files are available on Probotix' wiki page.  Not a simple fix, as you'll also need to run their configurator to set linuxCNC up again for your specific machine. 

Links:  http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/Reinstalling_LinuxCNC_on_Galaxy_Series_Machines

http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/NEW_LinuxCNC_Configuration

4D

6 hours ago, 4DThinker said:

Password are typically probotix as username and probotix as password.

If you can't get back to a working screen then it might be worth doing a reinstall of the OS and LinuxCNC.   The needed files are available on Probotix' wiki page.  Not a simple fix, as you'll also need to run their configurator to set linuxCNC up again for your specific machine. 

Links:  http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/Reinstalling_LinuxCNC_on_Galaxy_Series_Machines

http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/NEW_LinuxCNC_Configuration

4D

Thank you. I think I can handle the ISO image part. Not so sure about the rest. Although I wish I did, I have no experience with Linux. :(

Thanks 4D. I got the files installed on the flash drive as per the directions.

Then I put it in the PC and turned the power on.

14) Now you have bootable USB thumb drive with LinuxCNC on it. Insert it into the LinuxCNC PC and turn the power on. Begin tapping the F2 button until the boot menu comes on. From the boot menu, choose to boot from the USB drive. Then follow the install menu. More details to come, but if you need help, call us.

Tapping the F2 key does nothing but make crazy stuff scroll up the screen rapidly, and it got hung up in a loop.

---------------

Finally, during another power on sequence, I got a glimpse of the BIOSTAR instructions at the bottom of the screen to press the DEL key to enter the BIOS setup. That worked. I chose to boot from the flash drive and then pressed F10 to save and exit the set up. Upon restarting the PC, it does not recognize the flash drive and tries to boot from the hard drive. So, I went back into the BIOS setup and removed the hdd as the secondary boot sequence. Now when I turned it on, it only boots to the BIOS setup. It is not recognizing the flash drive. Note: I made sure to format the flash drive (16GB) in FAT32 just like instructed. When I check, all the files seem to be on it.

I am bumfuzzled.

So close, yet soo far away.

MIke

It has been awhile since I went through the re-install, but I seem to remember just holding the F2 key down while I turned on the PC. Otherwise the existing OS would start to boot up.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.   I know personally the aggravation when a tool I depend on is down for repairs.