Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Fred W. Hargis Jr

Inkjet printers opinions

Since my first PC (with one exception) I've always had HP printers...maybe 6-7 of them (the one exception was an Apple printer way back when).  But my 9 year old HP finally gave up the ghost (clogged print head and no way to clean it) so I replaced it with another HP. Actually, it turned out to be 3 HP printers. The new one quit working withing 3 weeks; I got a replacement under warranty (a "certified refurbished" one to replace my brand new one) and it wouldn't even power up once plugged in. They sent another (same crap, "certified refurbished") and I've used it for about 5 months and now I'm getting start up errors. So far I've been able to reboot multiple times and get it working, but I need a replacement. I wouldn't have guessed that HP had become the HF of the printer world, so I want a different make. How about Canon? Others? We don't use the printer a lot, but when I do I need it to work. If I move up to a "small office" model will that help? I am moving on from HP.

I've always had good luck with Brothers. We switched to a laser for the last one. Far less hassle. B&W only, though. 

Fred, I have bougt my last HP printer.  The one I have upgraded its software (by itself) and now I can only use genuine HP cartridges.  Very expensive, I might add.

The ink in those ink jet printers will clog and set up if the machine is not used somewhat regularly - all makes and models.

The best solution is a laser printer but they are kinda pricey.

That said, I have a Canon ink jet.  Have had it for 3 or 4 years with no problems yet.

Cal

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Since my first PC (with one exception) I've always had HP printers...maybe 6-7 of them

I did HP at one time...

all kinds of issues...

ink cartridges that timed out before they were used up forcing total shutdown...

redesigned ink cartridges that couldn't be reset...

print heads that went south....

cost of ink got ignorant..

their offshore CS/TS sucks...

got smart and tossed the HP's and got two Brothers around 14 years ago...

an all in one and a B/W only document printer... both lasers..

still using both...

toners cost about what you are paying for HP ink and the printing isn't water soluble and I get thousands more pages per cartridge ......

the printing not being water soluble matters come pattern time......

moved the all in one to a new computer a couple of months ago and their American based CS  was there...

no issues w/ drivers either even though the printer was obsolete by at least a decade...

they still support their plotter that is 26 years old...

Unless you need color prints, I'd opt for a mono color (B&W) laser printer. The price per page is less than that of an inkjet printer, however, you need to be aware of the consumables for a laser printer. A mono laser cartridge is about the same as replacing a complete set of ink color cartridges. The big difference is that the laser toner never dries out.  The other major difference is in the construction of the laser toner cartridge. One type of cartridge contains only the toner and the delivery mechanism. Another type contains the toner, delivery mechanism AND the Photo Drum. Check the manufacturer's spec for the one you are considering.

The cartridge without the photo drum is less expensive to replace when the toner runs out because there is less "stuff" in the cartridge. The Laser cartridges, that include a photo drum, are more expensive but you get a new photo drum each time you replace the cartridge. One other thing, most of the recent laser printers have circuitry built in that detects whether or not the laser cartridge is an off brand or original. Sometimes an off brand (or remanufactured) cartridge will not work.

I'm not sure if anyone has done a cost analysis of which is better in the long run- photo drum vs. no photo drum.

HERE is the one I have... about 75$...

Great topic. I've had nothing but issues with our HP Envy printer. I completely forgot about the Brother printers. And thanks Lew for the laser lesson. We are shopping too.

John, the Envy is the one we have now that is a piece of crap. Funny, I never had problems with their stuff until this last one. Thanks to all for the input, I'll check them all out.

22 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

John, the Envy is the one we have now that is a piece of crap. Funny, I never had problems with their stuff until this last one. Thanks to all for the input, I'll check them all out.

take it back to the seller..

get a refund...

get something else...

I had an Epson that worked well. Now I have a Canon MG6300 Series wireless model. I really like it. We can print to it from all of our devices...android phones, ipad, and laptops. Scan, copy, print built in. I don't know the exact model because I am not at home at the moment. We have had it for a couple of years.

Pretty cool when family members come over and need to print something.

I think this is the model.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-series-inkjet/mg6320

RUH-ROH. When I click find dealers the search doesn't show any sellers. Guess it is discontinued. Bummer. Planned obsolescence, I guess. :(

15 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

take it back to the seller..

get a refund...

get something else...

We did twice Stick. Kind of the same situation Fred is in. Out of warranty, but they replace with refurbished as crappy as the new one. Time to move onto a Brother by the way you all talk about them.

I stopped using HP products when Vista came out. My HP Vista compatible printer, wasn't, and they didn't support the drivers. I then bought the latest, greatest HP, with the newest drivers for Vista, and half of the features still didn't work. I swore I would never buy another HP product. I haven't spent a penny on HP products in about 15 years.

I now have a wireless Epson all-in-one. Works great and the cartridges are reasonable. I get them right from Epson and they are cheaper than Wally World. Epson, Cannon, and Brother printer all have good reputations, and are hands over any HP product.

After mulling this over I think I'll get a Brother Laser printer. I was tempted to go with the higher level model  that Dan linked, but probably will get the cheaper one (given our low use requirements) that Gene has. I need to make such it's Mac compatible first.

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

After mulling this over I think I'll get a Brother Laser printer. I was tempted to go with the higher level model  that Dan linked, but probably will get the cheaper one (given our low use requirements) that Gene has. I need to make such it's Mac compatible first.

I went with the higher lever because I wanted it as a copier and scanner to send copied info out.  Does the model you chose make copies?

Edited by HandyDan