That last clock didn't do me in, so

Smallpatch

So this one is 30" x 20". Way too big for the 20" scroll saw. IMG_9564.JPG.4d0e4ddf53902f4e51025c6c5e271093.JPG

Its in lots of pieces right now..Next step, take the pattern off and draw a few lines on the wood. Then I have this funny little box I invented and to get all these pieces carved just right, I open the door of the little box, say a few secret words, throw all the pieces in and shut the door, turn off the lights and go in the house. Now the last time I think I must have said something I wasn't supposed to say and the poopie gods must have shutdown for the night.  Anyway tomorrow is a new day...

The pattern was old and some of the wood was missing and I added some of my own thoughts and extended some pieces like I know what I'm doing cause the other night I dreamed I duz.

Tomorrow wife starts setting up for her yearly show so these pieces will stay in that little box at least until Monday.

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

• 3 weeks later...

Lew  I have moved along on this larger clock frame. Its so much bigger than the other things I have carved

with the dremel I decided the rough in would be with an air grinder with a good attachment for the initial grind in so to speak. IMG_9610.JPG.3e567f2ec843c8675177214c1370144a.JPG

IMG_9606.JPG.ed023649c2cae952dfb57a253ef485a6.JPG

You can see the difference the two difference  tools makes. I'm also gluing more wood pieces on the top for more wilder things than the last clock had. Not a clue if I will be happy with the out come ?  The grinder attachment also came from Wood Carvers Supply. Now I think a small air angle grinder like HF sells will be easier to control. these use to sell for 180 or more when I use to sell tools is probably the reason I don't already own one.  I noticed one in the advertisements at HF its 16.95. More better price for a retired gent for the almost 38 years now.

Now I am starting to smooth some of it after the first ruff in. I'm learning to go deeper with the curves. 

That new little round thing on the grinder will get after it slinging wood all over the shop. It can also create 

extra work! Maybe the guy needs to know when to get his finger off the trigger...IMG_9623.JPG.83bedbdf9bea1416c77d1f36cea4e69c.JPG

Cal I meant to tell you I did use the jig saw to cut the outside and got a bunch of burnt wood for the jig saw blades won't turn sharp enough and I did use the smallest available. I went back to the scroll saw for some of the inside cuts but not all and I ended up with wider gaps between pieces here and there. IMG_9628.JPG.ab28e977f49360105c6ccc1507aa2876.JPG

Kinda enjoying building this one for I am experimenting leaving out things and adding other stuff. But now after looking I did leave out some stuff I shouldn't have so now I will see if I can add them on top and make it look like  they were not added... No time table or deadline to meet so just doing.

Fred when I added 5 more inches in length and some in the width I think I added three times more work.

Didn't even think of it at the time. I also glued a few extra pieces on top of the wood to get more 3 D look

and I got carried away with the ruff in grinder attachment. Carving is still mostly new to me and I figure time ain't 

on my side anymore. 

This is where I'm at right now. I shaped the wood from the dial down to the carved pieces which made the carvings stand out more which added to the appearance. Next I'm trying to decide how much to raise the dial above where its at in this picture. I did plan on scroll sawing the dial instead of using store bought dial but it looks like I got too close in to the middle of where the dial will set and that will create hangovers under the side of the dial which don't look good.. Building as I go don't give me any room for changes as I see something I don't like...I'm fixin to put a round 1/2" plywood under the dial and see if this will make it look better or what..

IMG_9646.JPG.e44c5df7b00b86659c925ddd8130547b.JPG

I had intended on using a convex round piece of glass and build wood pieces to take the place of the gold ring  holding the glass in the picture but the wood will have to be wider than whats showing by about 3/8" creating a   noticeable gap around the bottom of the dial which I don't think would look good...

Any suggestions??