Question about work flow

MT Stringer

It seems each time I design a project, I wind up switching cutters for the final cutout of the design.

My question is if I use tabs (minimum of four, do you think the project will remain still if I run the cutout file along with other files that use the same cutter. An example might be like the one pictured. The material is 5x12x1/2 inch thick. Router bits used include a 1/8th spiral cutter that cuts the groove, and clears out the waste in the name, and does the final cutout of the design. Then there is a 60 deg flat tip that does the work on the text to clean it up and carve the year.

I guess I could answer my own question if I just go for it on a piece of scrap, huh? It sure would help cut down on bit changes since I am the bit changer!

Kyleigh1.jpg

Kyleigh2.jpg

Kyleigh3.jpg

Edited by MT Stringer

I use tabs all the time in similar situations.   I have a benchtop bandsaw and a flush trim bit in a router table next to my CNC so it is just a couple of steps after taking parts off the CNC to where I can release the part and trim off what remains of the tabs.   The only risky time is when the board you are cutting has a warp or twist to it that you are keeping flat with clamps.  Tab across the grain will hold better than tabs running with the grain.  If you have an easy way to trim off the tabs then it doesn't hurt to make them thicker/longer if you are doing aggressive cuts after you've done the perimeter cut. 

I found a 1/4" diameter spiral flush trim bit that works great for cleaning up tab remnants. 

4D