Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

I built one once & was requested to put a lock hasp on it to keep the kids out of it, much smaller than one shown, it was placed on Rememberence Table.

It also served as a prayer note box

Couple years later asked preacher what become of it.

He replied THEY GATHER IN A RING AROUND BUCKS BOX AND HAD PRAYER every Sunday nite.

Thanks, Lew. I like the shadow line effect. I'm thinking about doing the same...almost. Except, there'll be a contrasting strip in the groove/shadow line. Sorta framing the panel. My box is ebonized walnut and mesquite with a mesquite lid panel framed with maple. There'll be dovetail keys of maple in the corners. 

If my walnut was as pretty as yours, it wouldn't be ebonized. 

Thanks for all of the kind comments!

@HandyDan Dan, Thanks!  Afraid it's going to take more than craftsmanship to get me thru the Pearly Gates!

@HARO50 John, Thanks! I think that page will be way in the back of the big thick folder!

@olbuck Thanks! Well, it was a prayer box!

@Stick486  Thank You, Stick!

@Gerald  Thanks, Gerald! Hope I have a couple more like in down in the wood shed.

@Danl  Thank You! I'm still trying to get better at the dovetails. I'd like to be able to get the pins thinner at the small point.

@clhyer Thanks, Cal! They have always done the finishing on the things I've made. Unfortunately, they very seldom send a picture of the completed job.

@Smallpatch Thank You! My sister is supposed to deliver it on Sunday. Hope to get some sort of reaction after that.

@Gene Howe Thanks! I forgot to mention that the slot was cut on the router table in 2 passes and then the ends squared up. I originally thought about using the hollow chisel mortiser but the wild grain made the wood very brittle and I didn't want to take a chance on chipping out the exit holes.

interesting thing about the concept of tithing - it was only mandated in the OT, never in the NT, and if you study the OT command, and do the math, it actually added up to about 24% a year on average.  there were two 10% tithes each year, another 10% tithe every 3rd year, as well as the command to leave fields not fully harvested (leave the corners and if you dropped it, you couldn't pick it up, so the poor could glean the fields for their own benefit and not starve).  in the NT, the only command is to be a joyful giver, and to give what you want.

@DAB  I didn't pay too much attention in Sunday School and church. I hadn't even heard of the tithe thing until much later in life. We just put what we could in the offering plate.

@John Moody  Thanks John! That'll probably be in version 2.0!

Edited by lew

Nice work sir! The priest with my daughters campus ministry program has commissioned me to build a baptismal font. They have a small chapel on campus and they aren't able to baptize converts or children because they do not have a font. I've been hashing over several concepts  for the design so far and have been drawing up examples to present to the priest. The hard part is that I have to try and fit it in with the existing alter furniture.  Sadly that looks like something off an 80's TV show.