Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! October 16th, 2017

John Morris

Good Monday Morning!

Good Monday Patriot Woodworkers! What did you get done over the weekend, and what have you planned for the week ahead! Inquiring minds want to know. Please tell us what's happening in your shops, your life, and any events going on with you. Thank you for being here folks!

New members

Please drop by and give the following new members a grand welcome: @Benjamin Jones, @RonUK, @John Smith, @Donald Brinkley, @bundyal38, @Blocklayer, @Adrian McCullough, @Scott Timmins, @B's Tools.  Thanks for joining folks!

News

It's that time of year already folks! Tis the season will be upon us in no time, and with that comes our annual project in partnership with Operation Ward 57. We will adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays!

Our application has been sent, and it is under review now by Operation Ward 57, to receive our family for the 2017 Holidays. Stay tune, we'll be notified around the first week of November who our family is. For our new folks, please see the following links to find out what we do during the Christmas Season here on The Patriot Woodworker.

Operation Ward 57.png

The Patriot Woodwiki

For now we have the links to our wiki live for all to see, you still cannot create research projects yet, but the wiki is taking on life. We hope to have this long overdue resource completely open to all for editing and collaboration, to impart your wisdom and research for others to benefit from now, and into the future. See the tabs above, at the top of our woodworking community, there is one tab called "Wiki" Click on Wiki or see the various categories that you can click on as well to be taken directly to that area. Here is a peek at just a few areas of our wiki.

What's It

Our October "What's It" is live! Surf on over and see if you can tell us what it is through research and reference. And, win a beautiful Woodriver Hand Plane by our sponsors Woodcraft Supply!

Featured image of the week

Source: http://thepatriotwoodwiki.org/Adze

The traditional way to use an adze is to straddle the timber or log while holding the adze by its long handle and swing the adze up out in front and center to the users body, then swing the adze down to strike the timber or log. There are many ways to use a long handled adze and various stances or positions for the user to take as the work dictates.

The foot adze is most commonly known as a shipbuilder’s or carpenter’s adze. They range in size from 00 to 5 being 3 1/4 to 4 3/4 pounds with the cutting edge 3 inches to 4 1/2 inches wide. On the modern steel adze the cutting edge may be flat for smoothing work to very rounded for hollowing work such as bowls, gutters and canoes. The shoulders or sides of an adze may be curved called a lipped adze, used for notching. The end away from the cutting edge is called the pole and can be of different shapes, generally flat or a pin pole.

Ships Carpenters Adze

Wow, we are into the last half of October already.  This is "complete the cradle week" here on Airedale Drive.   The new owner was insistent on poly (rats) so I have wiped two coats on it as of this morning.  Probably a couple more should suffice.  I'll let it cure for about about a week and move on to other things.  When  I can make dust again, I have to build a plywood nativity for the church and continue building stock for the holidays.  Does it never end??

Finally over the BUG (for the most part). Wife and I spent the weekend visiting my dad at the coast. His caregiver (house keeper we are telling him) starts today. My sister is running herd on that project. She will come in 3 times a week for about 3-4 hours a day. Mainly just to help him and give myself and my sister little more piece of mind.

No shop work last week due to the crud. This week I have to get some wood into the woodshed (tarped now), then I can play in the shop - hanging/wiring new lights.

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

I love this crowd. Grounded, feet firmly planted on terra firma, thanks @HARO50 . Egos, we just don't have em here, thanks to all for making this community experience a wonderful place.

And here I thought I was going to be voted off the island! :unsure: But seriously, my late (and UN-lamented) bench was built out of lumber from packing crates, and served a purpose 45 years ago. But it was simply too high for planing, so I thought I'd cut it down by about 5". I never realized, but that wood was only JUST good enough for KINDLING! And no fancy joints, no mortises, no tenons, no half-laps, just lots of NAILS! At some point I drilled holes and used carriage bolts to eliminate some wobbles, added several second-hand drawers, and a vise, but it's time to upgrade. Having viewed about 2,000 benches on the internet, I am now more confused than ever. Maybe I'll just go with something like THIS:

DSC_0207.JPG

John

John When I built mine in 06 I did the same thing. After considering my needs I built not by one plan but parts of 3.

1. what kind of work do you do that needs a bench?

2. what materials do you want to use or can afford?

3. what type vise or vises will you use?

4. how large width and depth will you need for the work you do?

5.what do you like and not like in the benches you have viewed?

6.what kind of joinery do you think you want to use?

This may only be a partial list of questions you will have to decide, but will get you started. I took 2 years deciding on my design and almost that long to find white oak at a mill . Has 3 layers mdf for the top and sheet of 1/4 masonite over that so can easily be changed. I rarely use the tail vise. Both vises are from Lee Valley.Top is just sitting held by gravity. Bottom shelf is held by bed bolts. Most of the plan was Wood  and then some from Popular Woodworking.

bench_drawerssmall.jpg.0a24fd5fb76262b23dfeb9f21f3a09a6.jpg