Flu shot anyone?

Ron Altier

Over the years, I have the shot and flu in one year. No shot and no flu. It was hit miss and sometimes it seemed the flu was worse after the shot. Anyway, I didn't get it for years and my new Dr insisted that my wife and I get it, the shingles and the pneumonia shot. I'm OK with it and have not had any effects, until this year. The day after the shot, I woke after a bad night, half sick, feeling bad. Then the diarrhea started. My wife read the side effects of the flu shot and it was like a description of how I felt. Lasted 24 hours. Any of you had that problem?

Yep, every time I had a flu shot...Nurse at work said it was not possible to get the flu from a flu shot...My last doctor said possible, but not likely...Haven't had one in years; rarely have I had the flu either.

I've had both the shingles shot and pneumonia shot; no side effects from either...had full blown pneumonia once about 9 years ago; I'll take the flu.

To be honest, I think they push all these shots for the revenue.

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I was told that since we are over 65 we get the "senior" dose, and I have no idea what that means

The “high dose vaccine” is designed specifically for people 65 and older and contains 4 times the amount of antigen as the regular flu shot. It is associated with a stronger immune response following vaccination (higher antibody production). Results from a clinical trial of more than 30,000 participants showed that adults 65 years and older who received the high dose vaccine had 24% fewer influenza infections as compared to those who received the standard dose flu vaccine. The high dose vaccine has been approved for use in the United States since 2009.

That excerpt came from here.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/65over.htm

Been getting my flu shots for about 25 years. (Diabetic). The first few, I would get a mild reaction lasting about one day, nothing serious, but just felt a little under the weather. Must have gotten used to it, because now I get nothing. This is the first year I've heard of the "seniors" shot, don't know if it's been in Canada before. I DO know that we have to pay if we want it! The regular shot is free!!! Got the shingles and pneumonia shots two years ago, on my doctor's advice. Cost me about $600! Within a couple of months the government passed a law making them FREE! :angry: Just my luck.

John

5 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

My wife did have some reaction to the shot this year, but I didn't. nothing serious, just some soreness in here arm...there must be something that's slightly different. I was told that since we are over 65 we get the "senior" dose, and I have no idea what that means. Besides, we were over 65 last year as well (and will be next year also).

My Doc said it was a stronger dose because as we age, our immune system isn't as strong to react and needs a bit of a boost to get full immunity.

A local Dr in Ohio practiced into his 80s. He alway recommended Shingles shots. However he never got a shot. He got the shingles and it darn near killed him. After seeing that and others like him, I got the shot. Another thing is a Colonoscopy, I HAD friends  I worked with that had never   been in a hospital and no preventive shots or tests.  I lost three of my co workers and friends to colon cancer..........that could have been prevented. 

Have to get the flu shot every year. Haven't had a problem.

Except for one year I went to Rite Aid and got the flu shot. The pharmacist gave me the shot and my arm was black and blue for about 3 weeks. That was the last time I got the shot their. I now get it at the Dr's office every year.

I take the time to become informed on the various medical issues and take whatever proactive defensive measures that are recommended simply because I don't want to suffer the consequences of not being protected. Nothing is perfect, for sure, but I try to stack the odds in my favor. I have family and friends who have not and have suffered.

hat

When I went to law school in '98 I took one look around me and made a decision to get the shot. All those dripping snot nosed brats slobbering all over everything.   

Have  gotten it every year ever since.

Before that I got a flue almost every year and it was like the black plague for me every time. I haven't got a flue since I started getting the vaccination.

I've gotten flu shots every year for the past 50 years, even when they still incubated the vaccine in chicken eggs, and I never got a "serious" reaction from it. Sore injection sites and a warm (not fever like) feeling are a normal side effect. Most people don't understand, that, the vaccine is formulated to cover the strain(s) that they predict will be the most prevalent. It doesn't protect you from ALL of the different flu strains.

The best way is to avoid being around little germ carriers, hacking people, and Harbor Freight! :lol:

Archived