6" Open Stand Jointers Dust Collection

On 10/10/2017 at 9:14 AM, HandyDan said:

When running a lot of wood through the machine the dust collector can fill up in no time.  I often opt to remove the port and let the shavings drop to the floor and manually sweep them up.  

I have a 2 stage dust collector that has a quick and easy to empty separator. It can be emptied into a 30 gal. garbage can lined with a generic garbage can bag.  Another plus is that the separator captures a lot of the dust before it can get to the top filter bag. The result is a filter bag that stays cleaner and maintains good airflow. 

50-760Dustsm.jpg

Edited by CharlieL

4 hours ago, CharlieL said:

( Handy Dan wrote :  My Delta has similar dust collection chute.  Has never been a problem. )                                                                                                                      To me that is insinuating that the stock position of the port works just fine. ) 

It does Charlie. 

• 4 years later...

Hey OP

I don't suppose you have ever made a plan for your version? I'd love to try and make one myself, I have a total ZERO experience working with sheet metal but I'm willing to give it a try. My machine has no chute and id if I am gonna make one, yours looks like the best version I've come across. Even just some general measurements of where you've bent everything would help! I know this thread is a bit old but I'm hoping you are still monitoring!

11 hours ago, KWilliam said:

Hey OP

I don't suppose you have ever made a plan for your version? I'd love to try and make one myself, I have a total ZERO experience working with sheet metal but I'm willing to give it a try. My machine has no chute and id if I am gonna make one, yours looks like the best version I've come across. Even just some general measurements of where you've bent everything would help! I know this thread is a bit old but I'm hoping you are still monitoring!

First, welcome to The Patriot Woodworker. Glad you found us and hope you become a regular here. Great group of folks with equal talents and knowledge.

As for a response from Charlie, the last time he was signed in was nearly 3 years ago. I agree he had a great design and was quite talented not only as a woodworker, but also a fabricator. That said he was also very guarded when it came to providing or sharing any specifications of "his designs."

Sadly the last communications I had with him before I went AWOL for a couple years was probably early 2019. At that he shared with me he had been diagnosed with cancer. IIRC, his wife was also battling the same disease. Hopefully he pulled through, sees activity on this post and responds.

Glad you're here. There are others here with similar jointers who also designed chutes. I'm thinking @HandyDan had a similar design which worked quite well. Perhaps he'll come along and chime in.

working sheet metal even without a metal brake is quite easy, there is a learning curve, but one can google, bending metal at home ect, and find ways to make bends attractive, may take a tad of practice, but once you get the nuance of metal, mostly the creep when bending, it'l be a hoot to make other parts for other machines or details for other work. 

metal work added to some wood products are a beautiful feature let alone being a mech service to a wood machine.

i have to agree the original posters design is great ,and imo would have greatly influenced the removal of wood chips, i have an off brand chinese probalby 8 inch unit, and it has a solid cabinet under with shoot, and the design is set up to fail, clogging the installed 4'' dust hose, so in the interest of not dealing with a clogged out feed area, i opted to remove the plate that held the dust collectiong nozzle and let it fall on mother earth, for now, when time allows i will eventually come up with a solution, and am hoping i see new revelations in designs until i'm ready to execute the ''fix'', 

good luck

rj in az

I am not a metal worker so make all my DC stuff of wood . You can attach plastic connectors to wood boxes and it will work quite well. These are just to show you what wood can do. I do not have any pics of the jointer but it is a small box with a plactic duct connector attached, much like the first pic.

654559431_DClathebox.JPG.68a525b91e1ace00de8e38a06ccad42f.JPG1719128379_DCshopbuiltgates.JPG.ab2c7ec8d787c5d9f6f651e3d9309edc.JPG

I have modified the funnel many times to meet lathe DC needs. Just drilled more holes to change arrangement. Can show more of those but I know not what you are doing just wanted to show you a easy way to go about collecting.

I looked at mine yesterday and it is a metal chute with tapered sides.  For my table saw I enclosed the stand with wood and just suck the dust out of the enclosure and it works well.  I did put a sloped bottom to direct the flow of particles.  I'm sure you could do the same for the joiner.