PostalTom

Media Resources (Resolved)

Rate this topic

This might already be somewhere on the web site and I haven't found it yet.  I was thinking of a forum or list where members could post their recommendations on books, DVDs, videos, etc. relating to a specific topic.  We see these recommendations imbedded in various threads, but they are hard to find when we later might want to check them out.  Maybe an initial period of input from members suggesting various categories to help in posting.  These wouldn't even have to be "clickable", just tags to help in the search bar.  @John Morris, whatcha think?

Yeah John, I think that would work.  If someone is recommending a resource that isn't available through a link, or they don't have the link information readily at hand, maybe they could indicate where they purchased or saw the item, and those interested could do further research.  And, if a link is found, it could be added later.  I had forgotten about the links page.  What do you think about the idea of being able to customize the "button ribbon" the search box is located on, to include those tools an individual most wants?  Or can we already do this, and I don't know it yet?

1 hour ago, PostalTom said:

I had forgotten about the links page.

If you forgot Tom, I am sure many others have as well. It may not be the appropriate place still.

1 hour ago, PostalTom said:

And, if a link is found, it could be added later. 

That may not work Tom, I am afraid eventually we would have a bunch of entries with no links, that never get updated.

I think I am leaning more towards sub categories at the forum level. More input from others would be nice. Great suggestion Tom!

20 hours ago, John Morris said:

Further input needed.

Timely post John.  As you know, I have been asking, and receiving, suggestions on books relating to how to effectively use a hand plane.  Many of the suggestions contained clickable links.  If the responder, in addition to mentioning it in their response to the OP, had a place to list these, such as the links page, or the sub forum you mentioned, that could be the start of a resource valuable to all the members of TPW, and not just the ones following the current discussion.  (Long-winded sentence, sorry about that.)  Was that the sort of input you were requesting?

I am thinking, thinking thinking. It makes my head spin Gerald.

Ok, can we add a single page, open for editing by all? So anyone can add their reading material to that page in a list? I think I am following your suggestion, if you can help me clarify I'd love it.

Gerald, and Tom, mainly Gerald, re-reading your suggestion above, it appears more what you are asking could be handled by our wiki. I could create a form that could be filled out by our members, the form will have prompts that ask for book or other media information, and the user submits the form, and the information populates a list by book or media category.

Your suggestion Gerald, gets complicated with a regular forum or even a regular website structure when you want to relate items to other items, such as a list of books, that have a relation to a book that was mentioned in a forum topic. You are now barking up a "semantic relations" tree, that demands relations between areas of a website. And that would be best handled by a wiki structure.

I think.:mellow:

To better demonstrate how a wiki could handle this task more efficiently and effectively, please see our "Notable people past" tracker page, I know it's not media related, but you can see the semantic relationships that is created automatically when you click on the notable persons name. See: https://thepatriotwoodwiki.org/tracker1

When you first view the page, you'll see the people listed, and when you click on their name, you'll see a dedicated page related to that person. I did not create that relation between the two pages, the wiki automatically creates it, it's very powerful.

In addition, those pages are created by a form I created in order to facilitate a clean, and consistent state of page creation. So we could have a form the user fills out, then the form is submitted, and you'll have a "tracker" for the book or media appear in a page similar to the one I linked you too.

When the book listings start to multiply, and we get a large data base of books and other media, you'll be able to sort the list by many variables. At this point, in the example page I have shown you, you can click on the column title and the information will be sorted by "name", "country" and "occupation" in alphabetical or reverse alpha. There are many other ways we can use the sort feature, by date submitted, or whatever, it just has to be configured.

Just showing you what we can do, it is possible, and through RSS feeds and links, we can integrate the display of the media lists here on our TPW community.

John you may be right on the Wiki but my thought was like a library list that is searchable for books or media on say planes or by book title or part of it. And then if someone just wanted to browse book titles with a brief description after each title. I am kind of old school on the library subject, not that I read books much.It is an attention span thing.^_^

On 7/30/2018 at 11:56 AM, Gerald said:

John you may be right on the Wiki but my thought was like a library list that is searchable for books or media on say planes or by book title or part of it. And then if someone just wanted to browse book titles with a brief description after each title. I am kind of old school on the library subject, not that I read books much.It is an attention span thing.^_^

Still tossing this one over in my head Gerald, thanks for your feedback!