It all started making wooden toys

• 2 weeks later...

Going well, I guess. It's all painted and I've moved a few tools in to clear out the garage.  have the furnace on hand and need to get it installed, then insulate the ceiling. I don't want to wade through the insulation to put in the flue...so the furnace comes first. Even then, it may not be hooked up to the gas so I'll have to deal with that.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering what we have invested in plant, seems like we should be doing better than that. Problem is, work flow is uneven. 

Right now we have a pile of work. A fair amount of it is simple cabinets like if break rooms, offices, simple teller lines and straight sales counters for a string of industrial suppliers. Stuff bid against a lot of other shops that are more automated than we are. There are only 2 small jobs currently going through that are curved casework, our specialty. Last week we got a job to make 117 printer stands for a publisher, one drawer, one door, melamine, 2mm pvc, cheap! They have to go through production really fast to make a buck. I haven't seen the CAD files yet but there will likely be the parts for two of them cut from one sheet of 5x10 melamine on the router. Run time 7 minutes, change out time 2 minutes. Panel saw will stack cut the drawer bottoms, so a lot of parts in a short time. The stack can be 3" of 1/4" panels. Our bander is a medium speed machine running @ 18M/minute. so about as fast as a man can load by hand. The bore & insert machine can process on 4 stations faster than a man can handle. 

Assembly at the case clamp includes putting on the drawer guides and hinge plates and it takes about 3 minutes total time for each case. We clamp two drawers at a time in the drawer clamp so about 2 minutes per drawer. Then final assembly, wrapping and shipping. Lots of steps to go through for a simple cabinet.