Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Removing Sap From Fresh Finish

Rate this topic

Ok, here is a good one for you guys. I was working on one of the 4x4 posts for our balcony, on the workbench, in doing so the post leaked some sap out, and the sap got on the workbench. Then, my daughter puts her finished project up on the work bench, picking up some of the sap. Now there is some sap on her finished project. The finish is General Finish Gel Coat. She is presenting her wood project to a friend tomorrow, how do we remove the sap, without removing the finish? Thanks!

Pitch from conifers can be tricky. I usually use a chemical to remove pitch, I am not sure how that would work with a water based gel coat though. 

One way I used to get pitch out of my hair when I was a kid was peanut butter. That might be an option? 

WOW, your answer is DeJaVue Kelly, I just had one of those moments that I have been here before and I knew your answer as I was reading it. The Matrix!!!!

Thanks for your tip though, as it turned out, against my suggestion she took some Goo Gone and took care of it as I had my back turned, and it worked!

Man, the things you can learn on this forum. 

Who'da thunk peanut butter would work to remove sap from hair? 

But, Goo Gone is safe for auto finishes. She just used logic, dad. 

Sharp thinking, lady.