good find, you'll enjoy those left handed drill bits. Actually I use to sell the real left handed bits. They work excellent for ease outs. The hole will start getting hot and most of the time will make the busted bolt start coming out. Most of the mechanics had them. Courtesy of my good thinking...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 9:11 AM, John Moody said:

Now that is a nice haul. Hoping to do a little picking while in the mountains. 

Well I didn't need any of it John, BUT it obviously it all  found  way to my truck somehow:rolleyes:...I've got the ship auger cleaned up, waxed and a cardboard tube to store it in...there was some pitting on it:(, but not bad considering. I guess it to be from the late 50's to mid 60's. I remember Van Camp's location in Indy as well as Blue Grass in Louisville, KY. Long before the BORGS, I remember both of these brands in the local hardware stores and true lumberyards...yep the "good 'ole days!":lol:

• 1 year later...

Hi @Grandpadave52,

What a Blessed find. I’ve been searching a X-acto egg beater drill, which may be what you’ve bought. It’s for a Christmas gift for my neighbor Mike’s grandson. Mike Lee’s only son Jessie passed away last December 26, leaving three small children and his wife, at the young age of 33. Mike had given me his late fathers X-acto set several years ago, before he and his wife moved to Butan to be a missionaries. The vintage kit was missing the drill. I thought you might consider selling yours to me if you still have it, completing  the kit before I give it to Jessie’s son this Christmas.

9ED58F36-4030-4BA1-829D-879682FF8202.jpeg

Edited by Al Lark

@Al Lark...First let me welcome you to The Patriot Woodworker. Glad you found us and hope to see and hear more about your interests and projects.

Second, quite sorry to hear of the passing of the young Lee and even more so a day after Christmas. Quite a burden for any family and especially a young family. Prayers to them particularly this coming Christmas. I can empathize having lost a grand-father on December 24, 1958 and the unexpected passing of my father December 31, 1994. Even after all these years, the Christmas season recalls less joyous times...no doubt what a Heavenly father also endured.

9 hours ago, Al Lark said:

I pray you had a Safe, Happy & Blessed Birthday...

Thank-you. I did in all aspects.

9 hours ago, Al Lark said:

The vintage kit was missing the drill. I thought you might consider selling yours to me if you still have it,

While there are no markings on the drill, it is quite possible it was made by Xacto either stand-a-lone or part of a kit. I did a little research and found a VIDEO of an Xacto #99 Super Tool Kit contents. The drill in that kit appears to be identical to mine. The #99 Super Kit looks to be a later version of the one you have, but very similar in content.

At the same flea market at other times, I also purchased the #5 Handle with blade and the small, aluminum C-clamp as in your tool set. Last year at an outdoor flea market, I purchased a second and identical egg-beater to the one pictured above. My intent has been to give each of my grandsons one of these as their first drill so I had not considered selling either.

Let me ponder on your request and I'll get back with you via a PM.

Blessings to you and your family for a Merry Christmas and Joyous New Year. 

I can fully understand you wanting to give one to each of your grandchildren.

I found a very similar one without the X-acto handle. I’ll purchase it, and will be more than happy to trade you for the one with the X-acto handle, with compensation. 

But I do understand if you decide to give yours to your grandchildren.

E4547661-5B42-41E6-87ED-388F628AF958.png

I lost my Dad earlier this year. I was very fortunate that God allowed me to spend sometime up in Cleveland with him for his birthday and Christmas before he passed away. We spoke about the Lord a lot, after that he couldn’t wait to get to Heaven to see Grandma and Grandpa. He was a blessing to everyone he had ever met. I have very fond memories of us together in Grandpa’s basement making things.  Below is a napkin holder and cherish very much we made together when I was a boy.  I know I will see him again once I leave here.✝️

Plane Sawn: Plain sawn lumber is the most common type of cut. The annular rings are generally 30 degrees or less to the face of the board; The resulting wood displays a cathedral pattern on the face of the board.">Ps: I purchased the other drill, if you want to trade, either way is OK, it’s all going to burn in the end anyway 😇

317774BE-0B80-4906-B029-E62E45CBAA66.jpeg

Edited by Al Lark
Added

1 minute ago, Al Lark said:

Below is a napkin holder and cherish very much we made together when I was a boy.

Heirlooms such as this have value that surpasses any monetary amount. I have some tools from both of my grandfathers as well as my day...those all go to my grandsons hopefully with the knowledge, passion and desire to use them as all before them have done.

Upon further examination, the drill isn’t the type that would’ve been the original in my kit. The printed outline of the handle isn’t the same. This one may be the correct vintage drill for this kit, but I can’t fully see the whole outline.

Edited by Al Lark
Added text

• 2 weeks later...