I have a Dewalt 12" SCMS that lives on a rolling Rigid stand from Home Depot and have tried a few different things to tame the sawdust. If I was doing just 90 degree cuts I could use a clear plastic dust hood which I also used to use on my lathe on a stand. It was attached to my DC system and it worked pretty well. But if I had to make angle or compound cuts then the hood was useless. So I just decided to take off the dust bag and hook up a DC hose directly to the SCMS which picks up about 60-70% of the dust. 

I hooked up a small shop vac ($20 at Menards on sale) with a master-slave switch so it comes on when I pull the saw trigger.    The one thing that helped a lot is I put some duct tape back to back at the back edge of the hood.   It channels the dust up to the port that way that it didn't without it.  Adapted this idea from one I saw on the Festool miter saw.

Currently, I have a cardboard box behind the saw to catch what the vac doesn't.   When i build my miter saw station, I plan to build a hood and hook it up to the dust collector sitting nearby.   I saw a video last night and the guy had made a hood and on the front edge was a sheet of plastic with tabs cut up and down it, so the majority of it was enclosed, but would cut at any angle.

• 1 month later...