Be frugal, not cheap

kmealy

On 8/12/2017 at 10:57 AM, Gerald said:

The doors look pickled or is that a strip still in progress.

The undercoat was a white opaque finish.  It came off pretty well on the face frame, so I'm going to strip the doors again tomorrow.   It was not that obvious until I took the flash photos.   Would have shown up in the staining.

Well, did the second round of stripper, rinsed with scotch-brite & acetone, and sanded with 120, then 150.    Edges got a light hit with a block plane.   Almost ready for the finish when I get the face frame sanded and a half-wall top re-made.   Still not sure I would not have been ahead just to make new doors.

IMG_9157.JPG.7042e8dfaa83a1a3d8152b81599f4397.JPGIMG_9156.JPG.6d2085ff6b943b699e994fd0b5627aeb.JPG

Well, this has turned out to be "The Job From Hades."

The red dye job looked pretty good.   The espresso stain did not absorb evenly even after two rounds of stripping and a day of detail sanding.  (more reason to not "just sand off the old finish")

I talked to a guy I know at GF to make sure the EnduroVar(EV) would e compatible with the glazes I use, hoping I could even it out.   He thought there might be problems with EV & the glazes I mix up from UTCs and Propylene Glycol (that has worked on every other w/b finish I have used).  He suggested mixing some of their dark walnut dye stain or Transtint into the EV and putting it on.   This is a toner (finish with color in it) and I believe to get it even, you really need to spray.  This was a mess.   I got some fish-eyes that eventually mostly evened out.   By the time I got the doors and drawers done, I went up to the room to do the face frame.   I screwed this up, not realizing the gun was not working quite right (in a dark room spraying a dark finish).   I ended up with runs on the face frame.   Sanded those out this morning and applied another light coat of toner.

Meanwhile, I've given up on the doors.   I'm going to make new ones and finish from scratch.  I should have followed my gut instinct from the start and saved myself both elapsed and effort time.

I went to clean the pre-filter on my HVLP and it disintegrated in my hands.   After 3 different S-W stores, finally got new ones on order.

And in the meantime, went to open the garage door yesterday morning and it wouldn't open.   Torsion spring broke during the night.   The repair guy is supposed to be here in an hour or two.   Two cars locked in the garage and can't get them out.   Spent six+ hours yesterday trying to find a new car to replace the one that was totaled.

Bad things always seem to happen in threes.   Hope I'm done.

As far as the EnduroVar.  Initial application looked very good (if I ignored the uneven stain).   It does have an amber tone to it, so it's not going to wash out like some w/b finishes.   Time will tell about durability.

Keith, the red dye went on pretty good.  Was that a water based dye?  The GF expresso did not go on so well, was that water based or oil?

Now that you have had some time to reflect on it, what do you believe the major problem(s) was/were?

Cal