Random orbit sander

:( Sorry to hear that Joe. Kind'a like losing a close friend ...Not much help here though. I'm still using my Makita that's close to 20 y/o itself. I'll follow your thread to see the recommendations although when that day comes, I'd have to consider another Makita as a choice. It's been a good one.

It seems to me someone else asked this question too some time back but I couldn't find the thread...maybe it was on the old Wood site????

Edited by Grandpadave52

I have a couple. A PC palm sander that's really noisy and vibrates pretty badly. Really tiresome on a big job. And, a Rigid VS which is the best one I've owned. Only one problem with it...the H&L pad quit holding the paper shortly after I bought it. I like stick on discs better, anyway.

It's fairly quiet and, since it's not a palm type, vibration isn't transmitted to the hand. Much more comfortable to use. 

One of the magazines did a ROS test...wish I could find it again...

It ranked 10 ROS's top to bottom...worth finding...good test and article...

I've been using a couple of Dewalt 5" variable speed and a couple of Dewalt fixed speed before that...I find having to replace the brake disk frequently.  Tried the Bosch 10 and 20 and loved the feel but it didn't "penetrate" much...seemed like it worked harder to make the same dust.

I've since added the Ridgid 6", primarily for it's dust collection...heavy mama though...not a one-hander for sure...like one-handing a Mag77... but then again I need to use both hands anymore anyway...

I've been using a Bosch 3725 since sometime in the 90's and it's still going strong. Haven't even replaced the pad yet. I was thinking about 7-8 years ago it would crap out soon, and bought a replacement to have on hand just in case. That one is a PC 39o and other than testing it out it still is just sitting on the shelf.

I have had Bosch, Dewalt,PC ,Makita, Milwaukees.

All good, my main ones right now are Milwaekee's.

I wore out a half dozen H&L pads on the Bosches doing cutting boards, I used the heck out of them  from 100gt-12000gt. and it was hard on the H&L pad. But the motors never gave up. the first palm sander I bought was a Makita in the early 80's and used it constantly on the job and at home til it fell apart in the early 2000's.

Herb

I've had a Bosch for a long time and like it.  I've done lots of work with it, including when I was stripping and refinishing furniture, doors, and kitchen cabinets. I've replaced the pad a couple of times, right over the counter at a local rental store.  I later got a Festool (the only green thing I own, but got it on special for $59).   It's very good, but I don't think it's 3 x as good as the Bosch to pay for it.

I have to recommend the Bosch. My ROS20 is comfortable, low vibration, and does fairly well on the built in dust collection.

For those of you who prefer PSA over H/L attachment...there are several sources of adapter pads, that attach to the hook and loop pad on the sander and allow the use of PSA backed discs. I have never had an issue with mine, either slipping or coming loose. It allows me to use either PSA or H/L discs with no issues.

3 hours ago, HARO50 said:

My old Craftsman 4 1/2" is still going strong after about 30 years, but I'm following this thread closely for ideas. I just KNOW it's about at the end of its life! Besides, I'm getting the urge to buy a new tool. :blush:

John

Don't wait, John! Go buy, may I suggest a Bosch, introduce it to your Craftsman and let them become friends. Each can have a different grit of paper installed...the Bosch can learn all that the Craftsman has learned in its lifetime, so, if and when the Craftsman passes on, the Bosch will be able to slip right in. Problems solved...you get to buy a new tool, the Craftsman lives on and the new one is ready in case of that unforeseen emergency.:D