Workbench Question

I have this question - I would like to build a workbench like the one shown below. Would CVG Douglas Fir work for the legs, feet and stringers? I am thinking that is might be possible for me to get the DF cheaper than Ash, Hickory or Eastern Hard Maple. What are your thoughts? The top will be hardwood.

Workbench.png.4c38e02e115bbe74034ada6ca2961079.png

Chris Schwarz is fairly obsessed with benches (and tool boxes, and campaign furniture).   I believe he's made a number of them from "softwoods."    If I recall correctly (following Stick's advice) he bought SYP 2x12 and ripped off both edges, threw away the pith, and ended up with quarter-sawn lumber.   He also says wide boards meant for joists give better quality than 2x4s (few knots).

I had SYP joists above my last shop.  Aging 20 years it was darn near impossible to get a nail in it.

Some musings and readings:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/175_workbench

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches

Edited by kmealy

Yes it would make a nice work bench. Unless you are one of those people who like to stand there and marvel at the extra money that was thrown down the drain for nothing more than a set of legs. There's nothing wrong with Dan and Dab's suggestion either. Its a work bench for crying out loud......But for me, I think of those German made work benches. Yo didn't miss the word THINK did you?

1 hour ago, DAB said:

one of mine:

they are all on lockable casters with a lower shelf for stuff and leg stability.  36x96, about 34 high (1/2 less than TS height, useful for infeed and outfeed use).

IMG_0588.JPG

I have one of those but without the wheels!

2 hours ago, DAB said:

one of mine:

they are all on lockable casters with a lower shelf for stuff and leg stability.  36x96, about 34 high (1/2 less than TS height, useful for infeed and outfeed use).

IMG_0588.JPG

Is 36x96 a workable dimension, i.e., would you change anything???

Still pondering my assembly table to be.

1 hour ago, kmealy said:

Is 36x96 a workable dimension, i.e., would you change anything???

Still pondering my assembly table to be.

works great.  can reach the far side if it's against the wall, or now, i have a bench with access on all sides.  any wider would be hard to reach the far side.

very sturdy.  i later moved from where this pic was taken (old horse barn) to my new shop.  loaded these into the back of my truck, pulled them out, flipped on their sides to clean off with a hose, and then wheeled them into place in my new shop.  held together with deck screws of varying lengths.

you can see the basic construction and adapt for your own space availability.

i have one on the infeed side of my TS, and used to have one on the outfeed, but i built a dedicated outfeed table.  very handy for running sheet goods thru the TS.

casters make them really useful.  easy to move where you want them.

6 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Sheet goods BCX or something like that?   Ever considered melamine-coated MDF?   We use a lot of that at the furniture bank.

Where'd you get the casters?

the ply is pretty rough, likely CDX.

plywood is tougher than MDF.  long ago i had a bench that i had covered with scrap laminate.  really easy to clean when you spill glue or stain.

casters from home depot.  2 are lockable, on one side.

plus, if you need to, you can screw to plywood.  my main one (not shown) has a vise on one end and bench dog holes along the length.  it's really beat up now.  drill holes, stain spills...

I have a lot of my shop on wheels....sanders,outfeed, router table, finish table, planer.....but my bench stays in one place. For one too heavy to move and secondarily have no desire to move it, ok maybe sometime. As to use of ply I have no qualms about it but I wanted my bench to be heavier so is MDF and white oak.