Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! August 7th, 2017

A good morning from the flyover zone of Indiana.  In the shop are two projects.  The first is a small repair job for my neighbor.  She has a very arts and crafty pie safe that was built by her great grandfather that needs some TLC.  After that, I'm going to start building a bookshelf chair for my great nephew.  I talked my niece (his mom) into a different looking chair than the one I posted in the forums.  We'll see how this one turns out.

Good Morning! I've got a couple hollow forms in process drying, hope to start another but won't get much shop time until Wednesday. Hard to believe but  we're into the second week of August already, it's starting to feel like fall and the Brrrrr months come next. I'll start turning ornaments in the next week or two. Ornaments and spin tops are popular this time of year. I have a couple flat work projects coming up. Have to make a base for a barrister book case and a small chest of drawers.

Steve

For the past week there have been two quarts of vinegar and steel wool cooking in the shop. Tests yesterday confirm the concoction is purt-near ready. Varied width walnut pieces of a gun case will be ebonized and sandwiched between 1/8" thick maple strips. These pieces will frame a field of mesquite. 

Since the ebonizing doesn't penetrate very deep, the entire batch of the pieces have to be dressed to final thicknesses and nearly finish sanded before ebonizing and glue up. Forced OCD, let me tell you.

Repaired my step=father's dryer and two truck door remotes, replaced his security light globe, batteries in TV/Cable remote and inspected his porch roof Friday besides the grand-daughter shuttle service. Finally finished the last 1+ acre of mowing Saturday...yesterday was church, errands and some piddly tasks in the garage.

Kids start back to school Wednesday:lol::D:):); Change oil/filter/service my truck; a short trip tentatively planned for end of week through next weekend. Yard needs mowed and weed-eaterized;

Tomorrow, I'm planning to take my step-father to this EVENT

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

Featured image of the week

can we include clonal or would that be stretching it ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_trees

Clonal trees

As with all long-lived plant and fungal species, no individual part of a clonal colony is alive (in the sense of active metabolism) for more than a very small fraction of the life of the entire clone. Some clonal colonies may be fully connected via their root systems, while most are not actually interconnected, but are genetically identical clones which populated an area through vegetative reproduction. Ages for clonal colonies, often based on current growth rates, are estimates.[citation needed]

Name Age
(years)
Species Location Country Notes
Pando 80,000[42]–1,000,000[43] Quaking aspen
Populus tremuloides
Fishlake National Forest, Utah United States Covers 107 acres (0.43 km2) and has around 47,000 stems (average age 130 years), which continually die and are renewed by its roots. Is also the heaviest known organism, weighing 6,000 tonnes.
Jurupa Oak[44] 13,000[45] Palmer oak
Quercus palmeri
Jurupa Mountains, California United States Quercus palmeri Engelm. = Quercus dunnii Kellogg.[45]
Old Tjikko 9,550 Norway spruce
Picea abies
Fulufjället National Park, Dalarna Sweden The tree's stems live no more than 600 years, but its root system's age[46][47] was established using carbon dating and genetic matching.[48] Elsewhere in the Fulu mountains, 20 spruces have been found older than 8,000 years.[49]
Old Rasmus 9,500 Norway spruce
Picea abies
Sonfjället, Härjedalen Sweden [50]
 ? 3,000[51]–10,000[52] Huon Pine
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Mount Read, Tasmania Australia

Several genetically identical males that have reproduced vegetatively. Although single trees in this stand may be around 3 to 4 thousand years old, the stand itself as a single organism has existed for 10,000 years.[5]

No shop time for a while! LOML is off work last week and this week, and we have been taking day trips to various research centers, libraries and cemeteries, looking for information on her ancestors. I have already traced her family back to Plymouth colony and beyond, but this is a search for documents to confirm her ..... dare I say it..... Loyalist connections! One of her great-great-great grandfathers was one of the 80,000 British Loyalists who left America in the late 1700's to settle in what was then Upper Canada. Hopefully, this doesn't mean that I will be tarred and feathered, and banned from this forum! :unsure:

John