Glue clamp question

Ron Altier

When glueing, do you use anything to keep glue off the clamps?  Can I use a spray, like Pam cooking spray or dry teflon spray? What about using a bar of soap? I don't want anything  that will penetrate the wood. I've heard that some use wax paper, but I think that would be bothersome.

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

On the clamp pads which are mostly non- stick material, I don't put anything on them. But on the rails and bars, especially on the big Bessey and Jorgeson Parallel clamps I cover them with clear packing tape. That way when the glue squeeze out drips on the rails and bars after clamping I just peel off the tape and toss it in the trash. The same goes for my smaller F style clamps.

I'm with Allen on this one -- I don't use anything.  If I'm edge gluing, I put the planks on some cleats that I've put packing tape on to keep them from adhering to the work.  They keep the clamps away from the surface and thus avoid black spots due to iron+tannin+water.  And i have become accustomed to the right amount of glue to just get a few beads squeeze-out at the joint.