On 7/26/2017 at 11:30 PM, HandyDan said:

Another great piece Steve.  I thought about you today.  I was in a consignment store today and there was a small work bench and a Foredom motor and rotary tool was mounted to it.  I thought they were out of line on price at $140.00.

Vintage ~ Foredom Flex Shaft GG Series Rotary Tool with Foredom #30 Hand Piece!

Hi Dan, Thanks! Depending on the model, that probably wasn't a bad price, especially if it had any bits with it.

Steve

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the comments.

On 7/26/2017 at 9:22 PM, Gerald said:

Wow. Looks like a rattan platter. How thin is it?

Hi Gerald. It's about 1/8" thick. It's patterned after a Polynesian style vessel. According to what I read, the weave is normally done with water hyacinth reed and the splines are metal.

Padma-Woven-Water-Hyacinth-Vase-DWL11299

Steve

1 hour ago, Gerald said:

Steve are you using power carver ? If so what bit did you use to get the sharp corners?

Gerald, there isn't really any carving except for the pierced areas. For that I use a cheap knock off dental hand piece from Ebay. A person can buy one for less than 15 bucks. Do an Ebay search for NSK Pana Max 4 hole. The burs I get from http://bursforcarving.com/ 

I think they about 9. mil in diameter. After  I get done with the piercing there is a fair bit exacto knife and needle file work to clean up the edges.

Steve