Create Vectors Using Drawing Tool Forms

This is a PDF of a presentation I gave at a local Rockler CNC user group meeting showing how you can draw or create vectors in Vectric VCave V8.5 and Aspire v8.5.

This probably works in V9.0 but I have not had a chance to check it out.  They say they added the ability to use direct entry for drawing but you could do it before so I'm not sure what enhancements they made to justify the claim.

Create Vectors Using Drawing Tool Forms.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 4DThinker said:

I've played a little with V9 so far, but will get very busy using it when the university starts up again in a couple weeks.  I already know the new smart snap feature will save me considerable drafting time.

4D

I'm glad they made it easy to turn the smart snap off and on, I have had a couple of times that there was so much geometry that it kept trying to jump to other points and never could get it to lock on to the correct point so I turned it off and set the point using guide  lines, then turned to back on.  Most of the time it does save a lot of time and I'm glad they added the feature because I did at times try to get it to pick up pints to use in layout, some thing I used from my years using CAD programs.

Normally when they release an upgrade I go through ALL the video tutorials from beginning to end and pick up on a few things that have been there that I haven't been using and of course all the new features.  I'm busy enough right now that I was lucky enough to find the time to watch the teasers for the new things they have added and they left many unanswered questions.

I do think the new tools they added with V9 will speed up layout and make life easier, we just need time to find out which ones will be our favorite ones to use.  I know right now I'm loving the 2 sided carving feature and when I find time I will be converting all my old 2 sided projects over to the new layout, its probably time to revisit those toolpaths again and make a few changes to feeds and speeds anyway.

I come from a background where AutoCAD was the CAD program of choice and version 4.0 of VCarve Pro was sorely lacking in drafting tools I was used to using. 

Fast forward to now and our Architecture students learn Rhino.  The new dept. head comes from that Rhino camp and recommends everyone switch over to Rhino and RhinoCAM for creating tool paths to run the CNCs we have.    I regularly get horrible Rhino files from students.  I have to spend more time deleting crap from and editing these than it would have taken me to completely redraw the simple vectors they needed in Aspire.  Aspire is now the best CAD program I know of for direct to CAM vector creation.   

4D

I know what you mean about getting trash vector files and having to deal with all the extra lines, overlapping vectors  and duplicate vectors not to mention the sizes of the work areas they choose to work with.  I got file for a head stock guitar logo and the work area was set to 20' X 20'  and they had jumped around in that area and added little details everywhere and come to find out some of those didn't even have anything to do with the project and were a quick way to test out something for another project they were working on at work that was on their mind at the time.  All the important vector information could have been set up in a 4" X 4" job space and made life a whole lot easier.

• 4 weeks later...