Rate this topic

Finally got the walnut hollow form off the lathe, actually, it's been "off" the lathe several times over the past couple of weeks. Gerald had mentioned in another thread I might have problems with my laser and he was right, it was too heavy and wanted to move all over the place. Had to address that. Had some other issues and some other projects got in the way. This is my second attempt at hollowing something deep and it was probably a little too ambitious for me. Have to keep telling myself, this is a learning process and that was the main purpose for this piece. Next one will probably be smaller. Anyway, here's a pic, it's about 16" tall and about 14" major diameter. It will go in a sack to dry and then get remounted for turning off the tenon and sanding. Close to 1/4" through out, a little thicker here, a little thinner there. Still learning you see.

596e1751d72f8_hollowform-001.JPG.5dc8e7b414b843b602cd775ae6bcce31.JPG

Steve

Looks good . I do not remember what size your boring bar is but do recall being larger than my 3/4 which will only go about 12-13. My biggesdt thing with deep hollowing is taking top large of a bite and getting in trouble with that. Then there is that shelf as you hollow I tend to get too deep on side cuts before getting center of shelf out.