Another, I hate it when this happens.

I've got a beautiful piece of walnut on the lathe, trying to do a hollow form about 14" deep and about the same major diameter. Drilling to start hollowing this morning and when I backed out to clear chips this is what I saw.

uhoh3a.JPG.af889787b6c23c1c1b732cb9338717e1.JPG

No drill bit, this is a bad thing. At this point I'm over 10" deep with this bit. Fortunately I was drilling in steps and had made a good portion of the hole larger already.

uhoh3.JPG.ed33f0a33cae2e832899796368f321db.JPG

What now? Couldn't reach it with anything and there are chips packed tight around it. My first thought was, no way to save this.  Still, I started picking at the shavings and blowing them out until they were pretty well clear, that took about an hour.

uhoh1.JPG.818b446ed0cc12b58ebf39b72296d632.JPG

After several failed attempts with rare earth magnets, screw drivers, etc. etc. I got the idea to make a loop in a piece of tie wire and slip it over the shaft. Held the wire with a pair of vice grips and ran the lathe slow. With a little help, the wire wound tight enough I could wiggle the drill bit a little using the wire and a screw driver.

uhoh.JPG.1d6805d653a5425aa508bbf97c1c43f3.JPG

After about two hours I was able to get a purchase on the bit with a pair of deep reach needle nose and worked it the rest of way out. Next time, I'll be sure to clear chips more often and make doubly sure the set screws in my extension are tight. I think it will be faster that way.

Steve

OOOPSS! Pretty clever extraction idea on your part though. Is it possible to "machine" a small flat on the bit shank without ruining it to better engage the set screws and possibly preventing the bit from slipping out? Just a dumb thought on my part. 

BTW, can't wait to see this vase when finished...that grain is going to be spectacular.

• 2 years later...