Death from Fractal Burnng

I found the information on one of the other victims last night on the internet.
Jarrett R. Hutton, 32 y.o. artist 7/02/2016, lived in Cortland OHIO. Apparently was doing some art work when the incident happened, he was a father and and a very well thought of individual,and artist in his town. RIP.

Herb

I am a member of the American Association of Woodturners and our local club president. As such, I get bulletins regarding policy changes and such. Just received this one.

" The AAW and Board value your chapter's continued collaboration and support.  

In the spirit of sharing, this Chapter Bulletin is intended to notify you and your chapter about two important AAW policy initiatives: a) a policy on fractal burning (also known as "Lichtenberg Burning"), which advocates safety and helps to protect lives, and, B) a revised AAW Privacy Policy to clarify sharing AAW membership information with chapter officers is authorized for AAW business purposes. We also request your support to recruit reviewers for Video Source and are happy to announce the city for the 2019 Symposium.

POLICY ON FRACTAL BURNING

The AAW has always been a faithful advocate for woodturning safety. Recently, the subject of fractal burning has been in the news because of another tragic death. 

The AAW Safety Committee has studied the issue and concluded there may be a distinct influencing benefit in adopting a policy against the use of Fractal Burning and publicizing it immediately to chapters and members.  As a result, it was recommended that the AAW Board adopt a new policy against the practice, which was unanimously approved on May 17, 2017. The new policy is as follows:

It is the policy of the American Association of Woodturners (AAW) that the process known as Fractal Burning is prohibited from being used in any AAW-sponsored events, including regional and national symposia, and that AAW-chartered chapters are strongly urged to refrain from demonstrating or featuring the process in chapter events. Further, the process of Fractal Burning shall not be featured in any written or online AAW publication, except for within articles that warn against its use. AAW publications will not accept advertisements for any products or supplies directly related to the process.

Additionally, the Safety Committee recommended that an article be published in the August 2017 issue of American Woodturner to highlight the dangers of the practice and publicize the new AAW policy. "

Steve

Jarrett R. Hutton, 32 y.o. artist 7/02/2016, lived in Cortland OHIO. Apparently was doing some art work when the incident happened, he was a father and and a very well thought of individual,and artist in his town. RIP.

15 hours ago, Dadio said:

Sorry to learn of  another tragic occurrence related to this process.

Herb, while you did some really cool and awesome things with your equipment, I'm happy you have chosen to abandon this technique. Suffice it to say, you too are a father and a very well thought of individual not only within your resident community but also here in TPW Community. Thanks for leading by example that some things may just be to hazardous to pursue.

1 hour ago, Michael Thuman said:

Thanks Mike, a lot of good information in that link. To tell the truth it could be addictive, if it wasn't so lethal ,I would surely pursue it. I was beginning to get hooked on it myself.

Herb

• 2 months later...

Using a transformer stripped from a microwave is dangerous.  The voltage is ~3 kV that can pump significant current, and cook a turkey.  The recent death used a microwave transformer.  An automobile ignition system is 25 kV - and I never heard of any death from touching a spark plug wire. It's the current, not the voltage that kills.  Using a neon transformer with limiting current is a different story.  I use 10 kV, put my stool on a rubber mat, put another rubber mat under my work on top of my wooden table.  I use a power strip with an extra light when power is turned on.  I wear rubber gloves and work with one hand behind my back.  I think the AAW should ban microwave transformer and educate its members on how to safely use a neon transformer.  I get a lot of compliments on my fractal burning work. 

4 hours ago, Marv V. said:

Using a transformer stripped from a microwave is dangerous.  The voltage is ~3 kV that can pump significant current, and cook a turkey.  The recent death used a microwave transformer.  An automobile ignition system is 25 kV - and I never heard of any death from touching a spark plug wire. It's the current, not the voltage that kills.  Using a neon transformer with limiting current is a different story.  I use 10 kV, put my stool on a rubber mat, put another rubber mat under my work on top of my wooden table.  I use a power strip with an extra light when power is turned on.  I wear rubber gloves and work with one hand behind my back.  I think the AAW should ban microwave transformer and educate its members on how to safely use a neon transformer.  I get a lot of compliments on my fractal burning work. 

I congratulate you for still being alive, are your gloves rated type 3,and how often do you have them tested.  I agree with you in the right hands, with a person who deals with electricity an a daily basis, it might be OK.

Are you married, have young children ? have you considered the risk? it only takes one mistake, no second chance, kind of like Sky Diving, if the chute doesn't open on the 100th dive, you know what I mean.

I did like you with rubber mats, gloves,etc. but after hearing about the deaths,I figured I only have a few years left and didn't want t to speed them up.

I have heard the same thing,my dad was a welder and used a 300amp Hobart and as his helper I would hold parts so he could weld them, on a steel work bench out in the rain standing on the wet ground, never got a shock.

If it is not the amperage where is all that heat coming from that is burning the wood?

Herb

I don't mean to be disrespectful to you Marv, I just don't want to hear that you got hurt is all. Now that you mention it, I haven't heard or read any information written by an Electrical Engineer on this subject. It has all came from "fly by the seat of your pants " people doing it.

It is easy to do and gives stunning results, but there are too many young kids out there really excited about trying it.

The more cautious guys are setting up jigs to hold their work and the probes  and hooking it to a switched outlet then standing across the room to turn it on. Not as creative designs as holding the probes, but a lot safer.

Please if you have children ,lock up your equipment when you are not home, and you be extremely careful yourself,we don't want to lose a member to Fractual Wood Burnineg.

Herb

Edited by Dadio