Ron Altier

Elvis has an old song, with these words," Did you ever have one of those days when nothing goes right from morning till night? I still have one occasionally, they don't have the serious effect now that I am retired, but still aggravate the heck out of me. I started with an idea about a Christmas tree ornament using the manufactured wood that is layered with contrasting colors. It all went bad after that. I just got started and for some reason my chuck became very stiff. I really don't know why, except that the dust may have gotten in the mechanical moving parts, combined with sloppy splashes of finishes. I disassembled cleaned and lubed with dry teflon spray. At last I am ready to go. NO, a honey dos pop up.  Gotter done. Got it set up and bingo, tare out due to a soft place. You can see how this day was going to go and it did. One thing I am is persistent. Thru all the interruptions, miscues, and aggravations.............I remain kinda calm and am determined to make something out of this piece (pieces) Late in the afternoon I have it where I want it and part of it flies off to never never land. I will find the piece and I will take a picture and .......or.......I may throw it as far as I can.:rolleyes:

Boy, if a guy could find the secret to why that happens and bottle it...... I think we've all been there. Several years ago I made turned walking sticks for my son and two sons-in-law for Christmas. I did all three at exactly the same time. Made a set up and cut parts for all three at the same time. Glued up all three using the same jigs, clamps, and fixtures. Turned all three, one right after the other. Two of them went together without a hitch, the third one fought me at every step and to my eye just never looked as good as the other two.

Steve

When days like this start up and I recognize it... I walk away.  Last time I tried to fight thru a day like that?  Well, I am still looking for the tip of my thumb I zipped off with the table saw.

Amazing how well some blood and a trip to the hospital will tune you into bad wood days.

In my younger days... there were flying tools and ruined projects.  Lucky I never hurt myself...

Now in my "older and wiser" days...  I walk away and come back another day.  A good nights sleep, a good cup of coffee and a fresh look at the problem usually takes care of a lot...   for me.

4 minutes ago, Jim from Easy Wood Tools said:

In my younger days... there were flying tools and ruined projects.  Lucky I never hurt myself...

Now in my "older and wiser" days...  I walk away and come back another day.  A good nights sleep, a good cup of coffee and a fresh look at the problem usually takes care of a lot...   for me.

I live by that Jim, it's sage advice, don't push it if it aint going your way right! Things just get worse.