Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Folks, I am in the market for a set of brad points. Namely in the smaller size sets, say from 1/4" to 1/2" so I guess that would be a set containing four bits? 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and a 1/2". Or something in that manner. I am looking for very sharp clean holes, which all brad points will do for a period of time, but this is what separates poor from great, sharpness retention. 

If you use brad points, what do you use?

Thanks folks!

32 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

John, Lee Valley's HSS Brad Points are excellent. But, I also have a bigger set from De Walt that work pretty good, too. I think the Lee Valley set will stay sharp longer, though. JMO.

Thanks Gene, I was looking at them. Are these the ones? http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=42247&cat=1,180,42240

Woodcraft also has a huge selection, https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=brad+point+bits&button=search

I like the German made bits from Woodcraft, LeeValley's lipped tip bits and Freud...

but if you want to move to the head of the class for USA made - Fuller Tools, Norseman, and Montana,....     

Good places to shop for more USA made - Alfa Tools, and Travers .... (Travers catalog)......      

VOE...  (that wooden box has pocket hole guide from the early 50's)...

Fuller...

P1010430.jpg.64bde1f50166b69ef47ea179d9ad0f2c.jpg

German. LeeValley, Montana, Norseman, USA Chicago Latrobe...

P1010431.jpg.91473d07a8dfacc4f70181c9a69350b1.jpg

6 hours ago, John Morris said:

Thanks Gene, I was looking at them. Are these the ones? http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=42247&cat=1,180,42240

Woodcraft also has a huge selection, https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=brad+point+bits&button=search

Yep, thats the 12 piece set. I don't do a lot of dowel joinery in hardwood, so that set has seen very little use. It was a gift. 

Those LV lipped bits are the cat's meow. I've had my set for a very long time and they still cut very clean holes. The only caution is in handling them, those points on the bits are really sharp, and the cheesy plastic case doesn't last long either.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

7 hours ago, Stick486 said:

I like the German made bits from Woodcraft, LeeValley's lipped tip bits and Freud...

but if you want to move to the head of the class for USA made - Fuller Tools, Norseman, and Montana,....     

Good places to shop for more USA made - Alfa Tools, and Travers .... (Travers catalog)......      

VOE...  (that wooden box has pocket hole guide from the early 50's)...Fuller...

German. LeeValley, Montana, Norseman, USA Chicago Latrobe...

Stick, thanks so much for the links! Looking through em now, Made in USA is always at the head of the line for consideration, appreciate it much.

Is it possible to get a look at that old Pocket Hole Jig out of the box, I'd love to see it.

3 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Those LV lipped bits are the cat's meow. I've had my set for a very long time and they still cut very clean holes. The only caution is in handling them, those points on the bits are really sharp, and the cheesy plastic case doesn't last long either.

Thanks much Fred, another plus for LV, great recommendation.

30 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Is it possible to get a look at that old Pocket Hole Jig out of the box, I'd love to see it.

sorry... gave it to the tech school...

picture single Kregs in aluminum that can be bussed together to form multiples in 3 separate dia sizes...

On 4/21/2017 at 8:15 AM, John Morris said:

found a picture of of what they looked like..

the box had 7 guides in 2 sizes...

1387624263_pockethole.jpg.83e487c119d2f1f6e9feae86904f651a.jpg

the original bits were this style step bits...

step-drill-chart2.jpg.de257c5c021bc4918379c00aa33d4051.jpg

Edited by Stick486