MWTCA April 2017 "What's It" Project

Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our April "What's it" live and ready!

The image(s) below is a MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!

Remember, the first accurate answer wins a one year membership to the awesome organization MWTCA!

If an accurate answer cannot be arrived at by the end of the current calendar month this project is posted, a random drawing will be held to include anyone who participated in this months What's It. One winner will be chosen to receive a calendar year membership to MWTCA and all of it's wonderful benefits of membership. Compliments of The Patriot Woodworker Community.

For a run down on this project and the rules, please see this page at "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project"

Unlike many of our other What's It projects, we have absolutely no information for this tool as seen in the 3 images below, we are relying completely on the images to render a name for this apparatus. Good luck folks!

160-3.jpg.jpeg160-3a.jpg.jpeg160-3b.jpg.jpeg

Not sure. I think I've seen something like this used as an electrical ground clamp on gas piping.    I believe two of the loose pieces form parts of a swivel that attach to the head of threaded rod. 

Edited by It Was Al B

Well my first guess on this is a "King-pin" press &/or a pin bushing press used in the automotive business way back in the day. From what I can find or guess, the Ernest Holmes Co. Chattanooga, TN evolved into the the modern day Holmes Wrecker business whose primary business has been the manufacture of wrecker and recovery equipment.

I've sent at email to kaitlynn@towingmuseum.com at the International Towing Museum to see if she can provide any assistance...I'll let you know...

I am going with Grandpa Dave and Stick this morning.

And while I am at it, Dave brought up the Towing Museum in Chattanooga, TN.  This is a very cool museum right downtown and worth going if you are ever in Chattanooga.  The last time I went, it was probably the best value in town as it was only a couple bucks to get in. Very interesting and highly recommended.

Cal

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2017 at 7:25 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

Well my first guess on this is a "King-pin" press &/or a pin bushing press used in the automotive business way back in the day. From what I can find or guess, the Ernest Holmes Co. Chattanooga, TN evolved into the the modern day Holmes Wrecker business whose primary business has been the manufacture of wrecker and recovery equipment.

I've sent at email to kaitlynn@towingmuseum.com at the International Towing Museum to see if she can provide any assistance...I'll let you know...

Any luck Dave, with the towing museum?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2017 at 2:51 PM, John Morris said:

Any luck Dave, with the towing museum?

Sorry John, I missed this...was during the time of the "stones concert." :rolleyes:

No I have not received any response from the museum.

Most likely Stick is closest here. I suspect it is some type of field service bearing/bushing press used for repair/maintenance of early Holmes Wrecker Body's, e.g. cable/winch gear box/transmission or cable blocks or pulleys, but that's just guessing.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:00 PM, John Morris said:

All answers are being reviewed at this time. Thank you to all who participated in April's What's It, we should have a winner soon, whether by random draw or accurate answer! Hang in there folks, it'll be any time!

John...any feedback from MWTCA about an answer on this one?