New Dado by Rockler

I see where Rockler picked up and is selling that miter dado. I saw vidios of it last year and the guy was just trying out his idea and had a custom ground saw blade made to illustrate his idea. Now I see it has developed into a full dado set.

Unique idea, a little spendy, but considering the price of a good dado set and what it will do time saving wise if a person had to make a lot of drawer boxes, say, it might be a good solution.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-miter-fold-dado-set?sid=WC685&utm_source=woodmag&utm_medium=digad&utm_campaign=WC685

Herb

It has to be set to match the thickness of the material and there are so much variations in plywood these days that it is probably necessary.  better than trial and error with cardboard, I would guess.

I am just happy to see a young fellow come up with a good idea and see it develope into a useful tool.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

Thanks Herb for the post. I too am glad to see he got someone to partner and pick-up on the idea. Agreed kind of pricey, but the cost may come down once sales volumes are determined. Regardless a very innovative creation...

I did find this disclaimer interesting though: "Not compatible with SawStop or any other saws equipped with flesh-detection technology." 

4 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I did find this disclaimer interesting though: "Not compatible with SawStop or any other saws equipped with flesh-detection technology." 

I did not see what diameter the blade is but it either has to do with the blade diameter or the fact that the "v" cutters would not match well with the dado brake

9 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

I did not see what diameter the blade is but it either has to do with the blade diameter or the fact that the "v" cutters would not match well with the dado brake

After further reading, it may have something to do with the blade arbor length or configuration based on the stacked width...IDK???Just guessing

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

It is an 8" diameter dado. I hae a hunch you both may be right on the width. Or mabe 8" diam blades will not work on the Saw Stop mechanism.

Herb

8" blades work on the saw stop,  but not 6". I am guess that since it is cutting a "V", that the full blade can not engage the brake well enough to work the mechanism properly