This really sux....

I was working on the wiring in the shop at the ceiling level, on top of my 8' step ladder where I left my long time friend: a 20oz Plumb claw hammer. To shorten the story, I knocked the ladder with my rolling scaffold (I was on the floor) and knocked the hammer (which i had forgot was up there) down to the floor. It hit just the right way to split the handle lengthwise. embarrassed-smiley-face.gif Not to fear, buy another one. Ordered a repalcement from the 'zon, this one with a fiberglass handle to with stand those falls. Got here today....no where does it say where it was made, my other plumb hammers all say "made in USA". the replacement has definite signs of Asian manufacturer; really disappointed. Mean time the search for a replacmenet handle for my other one goes on, stores around here seem to no longer carry hammer handles.

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

I have quite a collection of tools like shovels, hoes, pitch forks, hammers of different sorts, most every thing that I had with a wooden handle is now handle less. I have made a few handles but that is time consuming. The fiber glass handles are nice but at this time I can't afford to  take out a loan to buy one.

Preston

Edited by steamshovel

4 minutes ago, steamshovel said:

I have quite a collection of tools like shovels, hoes, pitch forks, hammers of different sorts, most every thing that I had with a wooden handle is now handle less. I have made a few handles but that is time consuming. The fiber glass handles are nice but at this time I can't afford to  take out a loan to buy one.

Preston

Our company went to fiberglass handles on the sledge hammers and a lot of guys went to them on the claw hammers. The only negative part about them is those fiber glass slivers are a PITA to remove from your hands.

After a few years of steel handles I went back to the wood handles, the steel ones were raising permenent knots on the the bones on the back of my hand.

Herb

45 minutes ago, Roly said:

If the Rolson hammer only had free shipping I would get it.   The shipping is just too much.   Roly

You must be kidding, you pay for the hammer I will pay for the shipping and have it shipped to me.

For some reason I have seen that hammer before, think I even had one for 20 years, different name must have been, a knock off by Stanley.

Herb

Don't worry I was kidding.   While I have the steel shank framing hammer my favorite was my dads 20 oz claw with a hex wood handle.    It is one of those that just feels right when you first pick it up.   The Rolson must be for government purchases only.    A hammer just can't cost that much.   Roly

49 minutes ago, Roly said:

Don't worry I was kidding.   While I have the steel shank framing hammer my favorite was my dads 20 oz claw with a hex wood handle.    It is one of those that just feels right when you first pick it up.   The Rolson must be for government purchases only.    A hammer just can't cost that much.   Roly

My dad had one too and it was a good feeling hammer. My doctor told me to stick with wood handle hammers if I was using them a lot, which I did. I had the estwing 28 oz. framer with the cheisel instead of a claw for awhile, and it killed my hand. went back to the 32 oz. vaughan.

Wood hammer handles http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=vaughan+hammer+32+oz&rmvSB=true&_sop=12&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xwood+hammer+handles.TRS0&_nkw=wood+hammer+handles&_sacat=0

Herb

Edited by Dadio

This has been fun, I may have to order one of those NASA hammers. Anyway, the replacement Plumb (the import job) was only $13, and I do not like the fiberglass handle it has...makes the entire hammer a lot heavier; but it will do for being on top of the ladder. As for safety, I wasn't near the ladder when it got tipped...but my shop is a "hard hat" area right now anyway, I had to go find my hat because I was bumping into too many things with my noggin. I did find an on line specialty store for hammer handles (who'd thunk it?) and they offer to replace any wooden hammer handle for $20, which includes return shipping. In the meantime, I did find a hardware not too far off that has some handles, so I'm going back there (hammer in hand) to see if I can find a close match that fits the head. Funny thing, I have maybe 4-5 other hammers that I can't find because they are all packed into the boxes that most of my shop stuff is in. Back to the fiberglass, don't care for it on nailing hammers, but it is what I have on all my axes, maul, and sledge hammer. But I'm still bemoaning that another great American name has went to importing some stuff.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

Too bad you're not closer to Glen's.   They often get various size handles in there that i think are probably cosmetic seconds, and last time my one neighbor and i were over there we stocked up on various sizes and shapes.   I even took measurements on a nice little nylon tipped steelhead that needed re-shoeing and it worked out perfectly.  handle is a bit big, but fits the hand well.  I even have a stash of steel wedges in my hardware supplies...  I think as a kid i probably helped break the handles on all my dad's hammers. 

https://www.glenssurplus.com/

It's where i picked up a couple of handles for my other neighbor as well as a sewn US flag and a good MIA flag.

p.s.  sorry to hear about your loss...  :unsure:

@Fred W. Hargis Jr...sorry about the loss Fred; better to have a handleless hammer head that a headless Fred...:lol:

any Farm & Fleet, Tractor Supply's, Rural Kings or maybe even Big R's (coming to area in OH now from IN & IL); or any other farm supply type stores...all usually carry wooden replacement handles for hammers; have to watch though, some of those are imports now.

As Keith noted some HWI-Do-It-Bests and ACE Hardware's also carry replacement handles...

I do have one fiberglass handled claw...a Blue Grass, 16oz...belonged to my dad...over 50 y/o...I love it for finish or interior trim work

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Well, I did eventually find a handle ( a USA one, for $3.49) and brought the USA hammer back to life. The Chinese one (or where ever it came from) will wind up in the barn or something. I still peeved they went overseas.

"Ain't" that the truth...(just no other way of saying it)...

Had the same problem finding the right handles...so I started to make my own.  Hickory out of the back yard works great.  I cut the piece so the grain runs up and down and then shape it accordingly. 

Glad to hear that ole "thumb and toe locator" didn't get you...