Dovetail jigs

kmealy

I bought a dovetail jig a few years ago, called a "Universal Joiner"    It looked really easy and powerful in the demo.   When I tried to use it, I got a headache.   I even went to an all-day class in it.   So now, I have a 100 page manual full of charts and options, class notes, and a cheat-sheet I made during the three days I spent trying to figure it out.   It's one of those things that has so many options, I think it takes a PhD in mechanical engineering to be able to use it.  There are so many degrees of freedom, each one gives you a chance to mess up.   I've had about enough of it.  I regret ever buying it.

So I'm thinking of another option.    I'd like something that can do both half-blind and through dovetails.  I'd do mostly drawers and boxes with it.  From what I've started to read, people like the Porter-Cable 4212 (or 4216) as an economical option or the Leigh as a more flexible, but more complex option.  The negatives to the PC is that it fixed increment, meaning you have to design your drawers, and thus your cabinet around the increments that the tool can do.  And it takes a proprietary bit?

There are others, Keller, and MLCS and Rockler, among others, but I don't hear much about them..

So is the Leigh worth nearly twice as much money?

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

Porter cable made a template similar to the Leigh for their omnijig. The spacing was adjustable but the pin/tail size was fixed. 

3000_IMG_8504.thumb.JPG.debe1db9e360f8cdcb6127cb3305f53a.JPG

I spent more time trying to get the joints centered/aligned than it took to cut the dovetails. It was so frustrating that I eventually abandoned the jig entirely and cut dovetails by hand. I only do them occasionally and then only thru dovetails so it the time involved between the jig and by hand is about a wash.

I have to agree with Stick on this. I went through three jigs before getting the Leigh, a P-C, a Rockler, and a Peachtree which is similar to the Keller. The P-C and the Peachtree were bought from WW shows where the well trained demo/salesman made it look so easy. The three cost more than if I had bought the Leigh first. If you can justify the cost definitely go for the Leigh.