About a week or so ago I was ripping a 2X4 block into a 1X2 on the table saw and was using a plastic pusher stick that came with my Bosch table saw. I really like the feel of the pusher stick as it is heavy and fits my hand. Apparently as the block was leaving the saw blade, I angled the pusher to keep it tight against the fence and the blade caught the push stick.

The pusher exploded in my hand, putting a gash in my palm that required 7 stitches. The fact I am on blood thinners didn't help the situation either. It wasn't squirting ,just seeping and soaking.

Later upon examining the pusher stick it looks like my assumption was right in having twisted the pusher into the blade. The block didn't kick back and showed no sign of the mishap. It looked like the blade melted the plastic and welded to it for a second by the cut in the pusher. I wonder if a wooden pusher would have faired better?  I am certain a wooden one would not have exploded.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Herb

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

Geeze Herb...glad it was not worse...certainly serious enough for sure. That blade could have sent fragments flying into your face or an eye. It's got me re-thinking my plastic pushers now...some are more of a "nylon" type so shouldn't explode, but IDK if heat generated.

Still, happy to know you're on the mends...thanks for sharing the story as a reminder to us all. I guess it's better to Mis Hap than Mis Fingers...:D Take care of yourself while the healing continues.

WOW. Glad it wasn't worse. As if 7 stitches isn't bad enough. 

Hope you get to healing fast so you can get back into the shop. 

Do you think a Mirco jig would have worked better in this case.

Haven't bought one but I've been looking at these to get for myself.

I guess someone else's misfortune gets someone thinking about safety alittle more. 

Thanks for sharing

Herb:

Glad you are OK. I have a few plastic pushers but they are solid. I think they may find their way to the recycle bin. I have copied the plastic pusher on pine. Their angles are very good for holding what is being pushed. I have made one stick that is only 1/2 "

wide for small stuff.

I am on blood thinners also so I under stand about the bleeding. Take care and heal up fast.

Preston

First, like everyone else mentioned- glad it wasn't any worse. 

I have a shop made wooden one shaped like that but I've been favoring the style that puts pressure on the surface of the wood and has more contact with the work piece-

download.jpg

Seems to have a little more control. On mine, I placed a rare earth magnet in the handle so it stays in place on the saw table.

Herb, saw your post over on RF. Had no idea it was you. 

I use the Grrrippers a lot. But, for a piece and cut like you showed, I use a pusher I made from a piece of 1/4" BB about 6" high and 8" long. The bottom is relieved about 1/4" deep to a point about 1/4" from the back, leaving a nib. A 3/4 by 3/4 handle was grooved and glued on the top. 

The length could be shorter, but I seldom rip anything shorter than 8". The height was arbitrary, like my fingers well away.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but, I'm not good with pictures.

Plastic DOES DEGRADE over time. It can become brittle and shatter even if you just drop it. I've only used plywood or solid for pushblocks since the saw can eat the wood and still leave enough wood to control the piece.

You might also want to keep your hand ON TOP instead of the pushstick/block being pushed by your palm BEHIND the pushstick.

Thanks for all the replies and all the good tips.. I like them all and agree that wood is better. I have used wood all these years and didn't have a problem like that.  I agree that is a short piece to be ripping on the TS. Looking back I should have done it on the band saw and sanded the edge on the drum sander on a sled. That is usually how I do it.

I am very thankful that it wasn't my hand in the blade.

Herb

That sucks Herb.  I hate hearing that.  It happens in an instant and is hard to say what actually happened.  My bet is the blade through a sharp piece into your hand when it broke up.  I would go to a wooden push stick.  Make sure it is straight grain too.

Edited by HandyDan

One of my best push sticks is a 2x6----12" long with a cutout for my hand----I than glue a short 3x8th stop block to the rear bottom---this is replaced as needed. The beauty 0f this is that for small cuts the push stick covers the wood and""" the blade. I have safely used this same assist for many years and has served me well. Works for me.

6 hours ago, Dadio said:

Well yesterday I did order two grippers off Amazon, and will watch some videos on the different set-ups so I can set them properly and will give them a try. I have not heard any negative comments on the gripper. So based on all you woodworkers good responses I will try them.

Herb

Good deal Herb...I considered a pair of them a few months back but didn't purchase at the time. After your mis-hap, certainly going to reconsider.

Once you get yours and get healed, I'll look for your reviews...gonna be at least a couple months before much if any table saw activity occurs out here.

Hope your hand is getting better.